+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Coffee...as in Dave Pearson's Story

Default Coffee...as in Dave Pearson's Story

Dave:

Gotta have, gotta get, need, want...must have, must get, can't live without...

...one of those SWEET coffee presses. Where did you get it?

I have a stainless Nissan thermos coffee press but the folding handles on that baby of yours is sweeeeet!

I keep a small percolator, stove, hatchet...just in case; and all the coffee fixin's in the trunk for major coffee breaks but I do have a streamside kit.

A streamside coffee fix is something that I do more in the winter than summer. I have a separate small pouch which is my "coffee kit" that I slip onto the belt I wear around my waist with my other fishing gear. The pouch is about 6" X 4" X 1" and is hardly noticeable. My setup consists of an Esbit stove which is a folding job that burns those white cubes and is about the size of a pack of Camel's WITHOUT filters. My coffee maker is a Serra Club cup. My coffee is something that is an acquired taste but a part of my heritage; Turkish or Greek coffee which is super finely ground regular coffee mixed with granulated sugar at about a one to one mix.

When it's coffee time I take a cup full of stream water...I know, I know, cooties and all that stuff but it ain't killed me yet. I light the Esbit tablet; put the water on and let it boil a bit first to hopefully kill the critters. I then scoop in a couple of teaspoons of the pre-ground; premixed "Turkish" coffee. When the concoction boils I lift it to keep it from boiling over and then put it back on a few times repeating this "near boil-over" routine before taking it off for good to let the cup cool enough to drink from.

The ground coffee settles to the bottom of the cup in a mud-like morass but the coffee is sweet and rich and a great treat. One of these days I think I'll bring along a fez to go with the Sidney Greenstreet impression that usually accompanies my coffee sessions. I usually follow the coffee with a slug of Bourbon from my ever present flask.

When the coffee is finished; the old Greek ladies claim to be able to tell your fortune in the mud that remains in the bottom of the cup; sort of like reading tea leaves. While I'm not in the habit of bringing along my mother fishing with me; I figure I'm qualified by heritage to tell my own fortune.

My fortune is always the same..."you will catch lots of fish today"!

Nice story Dave, thanks!

Default Re: Coffee...as in Dave Pearson's Story

Bamboozle: I love coffee as well. Here is what I found online. Stainless steel French Press. 1 liter.

4 x 7 inches.

http://www.rei.com/product/725595

Cool!

Also at Campmor.

Clipper International X-Press Stainless Steel French Press

Here is one in Titanium:

http://www.summithut.com/catalog/remap/ ... fid/19181/

soloman:

Excellent....!

I am the world's biggest backpacking cooking gadget freak. Looks like a good excuse to visit my local Rei!

I'm getting one or the other OR both!

Thanks!

Bamboozle,

Its the titanium press soloman directed you to.

Its made by snow peak as is the stove.

nothing like a fresh cup of coffee streamside!

All the best,

Dave aka Black Gnat

OK What do those of us who don't like or drink coffee do ( also no alcohol for me)?

Rick

Rick:

Well you could always make a little Swiss Miss cocoa pretty easily stream-side. Or possibly a little tea if it's not the caffeine that's the problem or herb tea if it is.

Before it became something that causes cancer, (like everything else); I would brew up a little Sassafras tea by the "crick".

No coffee, no booze...my sympathies my friend...

Blog Entries

[quote][OK What do those of us who don't like or drink coffee do ( also no alcohol for me)?/quote]

When I was a kid in scouts, I used to take and drink Jello and hot tang. It had a lot of sugar and some food value, not bad for a survival drink.

Wouldn't recomend it to anyone over the age of 15.

There is always
    Tea
    Herb Tea
    Cocoa (marshmellows can be used as bait if the flys arn't working)
    Bullion
    and pero or postum coffee substatutes made from grain and tasting like burnt toast to me but some people like em.

Hope this helps

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Campmor has been around for some time and is a reputable catalog dealer which I have had dealings with. As to Rick do as I do and drink water or soda out of the ice chest and don't drink from the streams or ponds, because if you haven't gotten sick yet eventually you will from those creepy critters.

+ Reply to Thread