+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Savoy Intake Restoration

Default Savoy Intake Restoration

For those who know there are no fish in the Black Hills, here is an interesting and encouraging article from the Rapid City Journal about some work on Spearfish Creek at Savoy by the SD GF&P. When the article states there are fish there, don't believe it!!!

http://www.rapidcityjournal.com/article ... 979491.txt
    Rev. Craig

Default Re: Savoy Intake Restoration

When we were there in May, work was still in process. Combined with the flooding from the torrential rains the area had, it was totally unfishable ... even so far as having a huge tree, carried down stream by the raging waters, laid straight across the new steps. I'm excited to see how this all really works! And will definately investigate this malicious rumor about fish in those waters, while we're there in September!! Will keep you advised!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

While it is very encouraging to hear of projects like this one for fish enhancement. It is a darn shame that they took all the time and effort to do this for a few chubs. Because we all know that there are no Trouts in the Black hills.

Nor any here either!

Ergo! Betty must be a chub fisherperson.

For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

<GASP!!!>

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Hi Betty,

Thanks for the update on this project. Maybe you can help me figure out where the Savoy Intake is. I keep thinking it is the dam and pool along side the road that goes to Roughlock Falls, but I?m not sure that?s the spot. Would you help clarify it?s location so I can observe chub habitat on Spearfish Creek? My family and I are heading out to Silver City a week from Tuesday.
    Rev. Craig

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

Hey Craig,

If it's the spot I'm thinking of - it's the dam and pool just up the canyon road from Savoy towards Cheyenne crossing. There's a very nice trout...I mean CHUB population in there and it will be nice to see them be able to move more freely in the stream. I can believe that they dredged that much sediment out...it was filling when I was out there last a couple of years ago.

PLEASE BE SURE TO TAKE SOME PICS OF THE SITE AND SHARE THEM WITH US!

Jim
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

Quote Originally Posted by Gnu Bee Flyer
    While it is very encouraging to hear of projects like this one for fish enhancement. It is a darn shame that they took all the time and effort to do this for a few chubs. Because we all know that there are no Trouts in the Black hills.

Nor any here either!

Ergo! Betty must be a chub fisherperson.

Betty,
    I found something to HELP U ID Fish!!!
    www.americanfishes.com/UTAH%20CHUB.jpg

www.americanfishes.com/GOOSE%20LAKE%20REDBAND.JPG

That's the CHUB in the 1st picture!
    The TROUT in the 2nd picture!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Was in Spearfish canyon two days ago. What a wonderful place . My wife got her first "chub" with dots on it (must have been a "Dotted Chub). For that matter ,me too.

As everyone says "There are no trout in So.Dak". My above statement was a vicious lie intent on lureing the innocent and unwitting into a heart breaking , forelorn and wasted trip.
    That little restaraunt in Savoy was excellent too.

Quote Originally Posted by Rev Craig
    Hi Betty,

Thanks for the update on this project. Maybe you can help me figure out where the Savoy Intake is. I keep thinking it is the dam and pool along side the road that goes to Roughlock Falls, but I?m not sure that?s the spot. Would you help clarify it?s location so I can observe chub habitat on Spearfish Creek? My family and I are heading out to Silver City a week from Tuesday.

I, too, know it as the dam intake up the highway between Cheyenne Crossing (Mountain Berry pie) and Savoy (Bread Pudding). Used to be, the dam blocked the water, and backed up silt. The dam has been breeched and has stairs set in place now, making for some pretty riffles, deeper pools, and hopefully more fish life. And, I understand, a bathroom! Kewl!

Perch! Welcome home!! Got your call while we were in Michigan for the Fish-In. Wish I could have been more help, but sounds like you had a good time anyhow! Chubs, ech?

Norman, OK (via Iowa, South Dakota, Nebraska & Ohio)

And need I remind everyone that all the CHUB fishing areas are all protected by LANDMINES and SNIPERS and the hills are overrun with WILD LIONS and SABER-TOOTH TIGERS.

So...if you're stout of heart, fleet of foot, pure of soul and not afraid of landmines...SURE, go out to the Black Hills...IF YOU DARE.
    Thank God for my wife, the midge nymph and those hapless Iowa Hawkeyes!

+ Reply to Thread