+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: whats everyones kayak???

Default Re: whats everyones kayak???

I have a Tarpon 120. it paddles well and is versatile. I've had it out in rivers, lakes, and in the salt.

I think buying a used kayak is a good idea. A lot of people are upgrading to the Hobie peddle 'yaks, and you might be able to find a good one. Some owners might ship.

I'd like to own one of those peddle kayaks myself.

have a look at www.akff.net and all the yaks available here are listed and discussed.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

Mine's here...

...[url=http://www.lunceford.org/fishing/yakrig.html:1c018]My Kayak[/url:1c018]

Jesus still hangs out with fishermen.

Blog Entries

Right now, I own three Heritage Redfish 14s (angler model). Tomorrow (July 2), my new fleeet arrives. I'm getting two Heritage Redfish 12s (angler model) with rudders. My third kayak will be a 14.5 Native Watercraft Ultimate, a cross between a kayak and canoe that has a great seat. It's also tunnel-hulled and so stable you really can stand up with little problem. Should be great for sightfishing on the flats.

The reason I downsized from the Heritage 14 to 12 is because of weight and maneuverability. If it was just me, I'd go with the 14. However, I run Southern Drawl Kayak Fishing in Sarasota, FL and it words better for my clients.

My first kayak was a Wilderness Systems Tarpon 140. I loved this boat, but it was wet. That's wasn't so bad in the summer, but not desireable in winter. The Heritage boats are extremely dry.

Like everyone else I advise paddling different kayaks until you find one that fits you.
    Steve

I have a Hornbeck 10'6" that I love. 17lbs what else do I need to say?

I fish from a 12' Current Design Kestrel. Mine is thermaformed and weighs approx 36#. If I had it to do over again, I would get a 14' with a rudder, for hands free correction when drifting down river. I have added a half skirt, also called a work station. And a soft anchor system.
    " If a man is truly blessed, he returns home from fishing to the best catch of his life." Christopher Armour

Just bought a Heritage Redfish 14 Tuesday. I use it for fishing in the Indian/Banana river Lagoons

Perception "America" 12'6", of 1999? vintage. 'Milk crate' on top of the rear hatch with modifications to the crate to haul the stuff that doesn't work out residing in the cockpit.

Full skirt in the cold or rain and a half deck for the work area and protection from the sun for my legs.

Home made outriggers (aka and ama) when I need to stand to see my quarry attatch to the milk crate. One good paddle and a cheap one for the back-up/loaner.

Use a home made anchor I saw on the Texas Kayak Fishing web site (Bruce type) made from welded lawn mower blades when I don't want to "Go". Full length anchor trolley adds control.

Soft sided cooler when I'm planning on eating fish.

When I learn to post pix, will do as much.
    Just another HappyHooker

Catching and Releasing Fisher-folk for 40+years

I have tried a pontoon and a small it in kayak but just purchased a Native Watercraft Ultimate 12. I think this one is a keeper. It is pretty light at 50 pounds and stable enough to stand and sight fish from. It is a very nice and comfortable boat.

I fish (a lot) from my Old Town 'Dirigo 106' kayak. I've found it to be easy to transport, comfortable to sit in and stable to cast from. I like it!

Jeff

+ Reply to Thread