+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Fly Rod for my Wife

Default Fly Rod for my Wife

Well it finally happened. After three years of watching me flail about in water up to my hips, while peacefully casting from the shore, my wife wants to learn to fly fish. You know what triggered it? We were doing a bit of bass chasing with one of the kids, and he landed a bowfin. That was a fish nobody was going to touch but me, so mama grabbed my fly rod and tended to the popper on the end of the line while I subdued and released the killer bowfin. No she didn't catch a fish, but on the ride home she said "that was kinda fun". She had managed a couple sort of roll casts while I was engaged with the boy and his shark, and that was all it took. Anyway, I would like to shop around and suprise her with her own rod and reel. She really likes my St Croix 4 weight, in fact, I can't get my hands on it. So I thought something in that range, with maybe a little more asthetic value would be a good choice. One of Joan Wulff's Custom rods for women is a bit out of our budget these days, so a more pedestrian rig will have to suffice. Any suggestions?

nighthawk Guest

Default Re: Fly Rod for my Wife

Bowfin:

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl= ... image&cd=1

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bowfin

Can you tell us your price range and what species she will be fishing for?

From the SA thread in the Learning Experiences forum

Mato Kuwapi wrote:
    I just wanted to add that I had a chance to try out the "Ready to Fish" SA Kit that they sell at Walmart, while I was at the Michigan Fish In. RUN to Walmart and don't hesitate to pick this combo up. It casts very well and is well put together. If you have never tried fly fishing before and don't want to blow a lot of money yet, this is a GREAT entry level rod to get you started. If you have kids you want to get a rod for, this is the one. If you already have a lot of gear but are looking for a back up rod, one you can loan to friends, or use as a teaching tool ...this is the rod. You will be truly amazed at what you get for the price.

Scientific Angler (3M) has been in the business for a long time and has quality product in every price range. I have a couple of Avid series rods which I like very much.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Take a look at the TFO Pro series. I just bought their 3wt for my nephew and it's a beauty. TFO got a lot of praise on different fishing site boards. At $140, they are a very good deal. The fly shop guy suggested it over the Winston Ascent and the Sage Launch, both $70 more. I matched it with an Orvis BBS reel for $99. I have cast some St. Croix and the action seems very similar. I was very lucky and got the Joan Wulff 5wt at 40% off and it is my fav.
    To Miss Nancy - She hated fishing, but loved a fisherman.

look at the elkhorn rods. they have i think rasberry blanks, and rasberry reels, perfectly suited for a woman.

Also consider the length of the rod. Most women are better off with a rod in the 7'6 range to 8'6" range when dealing with rods in weights less then a 6-wt rod.
    Instead of trying to surprise her with a rod that may or may not work for her casting stroke, take her in and let her test some diffrent rods out to find one she likes the feel of. If you want to surprise her, you could have the already purchased reel in a box already since the reel will not effect the feel of casting in any large way like the rod and line will.
    Also if you take her to a shop to test out rods to buy the staff will most likely help her with her casting stroke and as us men all know she will most likely be more willing to listen to advice of a stranger on casting more then she will listen to you her husband on the subject.

Deezel Guest

Wow! When I first read the title of this thread I thought of Rodney Dangerfield. "Fly Rod for my Wife" ... Please.

Really though, find one that has a small diameter grip or one that you will be willing to sand down and shape. Probably a moderate fast action will be easiest for learning.

Deezel

She really likes my St Croix 4 weight, in fact, I can't get my hands on it.
    Somethings are just easy.

Thanks for the ideas everyone. JC I considered the tactic of "giving" her my 4 weight, though I too, really like that rod, and saying, "well now I need a new rod to replace the one I gave you", but I would really like to try and find something that pleases her more feminine sensibilites, as well as casts a good line. Unfortunately trying out a few rods is a pretty sketchy option in these parts. The tackle shops in this area cater to the walleye and muskie gear fishers. One would think that living near as much excellent trout water as we do, that there would be a market, but alas there is not. In fact when I started fly fishing a few years back, I looked into joining the local TU chapter, only to find that it had folded due to lack of interest. I did look at the #5/6 SA rigs at K-mart today, but she never did like using my Pflueger #6, and that has me thinking she prefers the lighter line. I will look into the suggestions made here, and continue my research.

Quote Originally Posted by J Castwell
    She really likes my St Croix 4 weight, in fact, I can't get my hands on it.
    Somethings are just easy.
    I'm with Castwell. Sounds like you get to pick out a new rod for you.

Just buy something different than what you already have. That way if she gets tired of it or decides not to go fishing one day you have another option.

+ Reply to Thread