+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Dumber Than Dumb...Has This Happened to You?

Default Dumber Than Dumb...Has This Happened to You?

Well I did it again yesterday: caught the SAME trout in the SAME pool on the SAME day. But this time; it was a MONSTER, well maybe not a monster but a nice fish that I would have hoped was a bit smarter than that.

When I released him the first time; I measured him against my rod and he came up to the second set of nodes on the boo I was fishing. When I got home and put a tape measure to the nodes on the rod it measured 20"!!

In any case; between this fish's first trip to hand and its second; I caught and released another fish slightly smaller at maybe 19" and a few others that were more the norm for this stream. While releasing another trout; I saw what appeared to be a big fish working the far bank. I switched files; made the right cast and...

...you guessed it; I caught the 20" fish again!

I knew it was the same fish because of markings I observed the first time I caught the fool.

This makes three times that I have positively caught the same trout on the same day. It sort of erodes my faith in the intellect of my favorite quarry.

How about you; any moron trout in your history?

Default Re: Dumber Than Dumb...Has This Happened to You?

I caught the same 32" striped bass twice in one day.
    It was in a little creek no larger that a small trout stream, and I thought I found a real honey hole.
    I can't say I was disappointed when I figured out it was the same fish, catching a fish that size in a creek you could cast across is a thrill, but I was fairly sure afterward that it was king of the creek and there were no other large fish around there
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

A long time ago I was fishing a Goddard Caddis, on my favorite river. I actually wasn't even fishing! I was getting ready to start casting, my fly a few ft. in front of me, a trout rose to the surface and took the fly. I've replayed that episode many times in my mind. Sometimes fish change the rules.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

I was fishing a small stream in Virginia and had a bass take the fly. The leader broke, so I tied on a new fly of the same pattern and the bass took the 2d fly on the first cast and I was able to retrieve the broken off fly.

Guess that guy gets the dumb fish award

Tim

That kinda makes me question survival of the fittest... If that was the fittest, how dumb are the other ones?

Then again, maybe some genes just slipped through the cracks.

Is it possible for fish to be inbred? Would it really matter if they were?

I've caught the same fish early in the morning and then late afternoon on the same day, but not within a few minutes!
    Leave No Trace

Quote Originally Posted by Panman
    I was fishing a small stream in Virginia and had a bass take the fly. The leader broke, so I tied on a new fly of the same pattern and the bass took the 2d fly on the first cast and I was able to retrieve the broken off fly.

Guess that guy gets the dumb fish award

Tim
    I had the exact same thing happen to me with a trout except I was fishing a two fly rig and I broke it off in a fish at the upper fly. 20 minutes later I hooked the SAME trout and he somehow slipped the fly he struck which then got SNAGGED on the broken off flies from the earlier two fly rig which was still hanging from his jaw.

Confused yet...?

When I brought him to hand the lower fly of my current two fly rig was snagged on the upper fly of the broken off rig and I ended up with one fish and 4 flies.

I needed a drink after that...

I'm EXHAUSTED!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Wow man, I wanna fish were you are. lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Bamboozle
    Well I did it again yesterday: caught the SAME trout in the SAME pool on the SAME day. But this time; it was a MONSTER, well maybe not a monster but a nice fish that I would have hoped was a bit smarter than that.

When I released him the first time; I measured him against my rod and he came up to the second set of nodes on the boo I was fishing. When I got home and put a tape measure to the nodes on the rod it measured 20"!!

In any case; between this fish's first trip to hand and its second; I caught and released another fish slightly smaller at maybe 19" and a few others that were more the norm for this stream. While releasing another trout; I saw what appeared to be a big fish working the far bank. I switched files; made the right cast and...

...you guessed it; I caught the 20" fish again!

I knew it was the same fish because of markings I observed the first time I caught the fool.

This makes three times that I have positively caught the same trout on the same day. It sort of erodes my faith in the intellect of my favorite quarry.

How about you; any moron trout in your history?

If you catch him a third time.........eat him!

Tom C.

"Fool me once, shame on you, fool me twice, shame on me"
    Author; Bamboozle's Trout.

+ Reply to Thread