+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Obnoxious Guides

Default Re: Obnoxious Guides

Quote Originally Posted by waynep
    Quote Originally Posted by SilverMallard
    Ibut summer is a ZOO. . . .
    Smallmouth, carp, etc etc . . . . i am searching out out of the way smallmouth places for weeknight excursions.

I generally dont trout fish much in the summer.
    Exactly, Wayne! I've been focusing more on warm water species for the past year. And I have several places to fish for trout away from the crowds. But those trout spots are usually not conducive to introducing new folks to fly fishing. They require some trick casting, trickier wading, and have much spookier and more selective trout spread out thinner over difficult to access stretches of stream. Much more fun for me, but it would frustrate the wife at this stage. Now warm water stuff would be fine for her in many spots. And we're going to do some of that this weekend. Frankly, I think warm water fly fishing is much easier for beginners to get the hang of. So it really has a distinct advantage over trout fishing for us at this point...except for snakes.

Quote Originally Posted by SilverMallard
    Frankly, I think warm water fly fishing is much easier for beginners to get the hang of. So it really has a distinct advantage over trout fishing for us at this point...except for snakes.
    I agree. I like to take someone bass fishing, smallmouth etc. No waders, just rod and flys. So I can take one of my extra rods, and they are ready to go. Beats renting waders etc for a newbie before they get into things.

Yea . . I understand the snake comment Gotta watch out for those things . .

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

You've mentioned attributes of guides I would not like to deal with. My fishing buddy and I are taking our wifes to Branson for a non-fishing vacation. However, we hope to get out for one half day of fishing. Can you recommend a good guide?

Yikes SM, what a nightmare You are a better man than me because I never would have been able to keep my mouth shut if that was going on in front of me.

I have been in circumstances in which a less than stellar guide was near as obnoxious and also tried pushing us out of a spot we were fishing. I do my best not to engage them in conversation but I don't budge from the spot. We have found that if you tangle the heck of their clients stuff a few times they leave.

I remember once watching a "Guide" toss everything he was done with (soda can, sandwich wrapper, potatoe chip bag, etc) into the water instead of into the bucket I could see on his deck 2 ft from him. When I politely (honestly I was nice about it) asked him if he could refrain from tossing the garbage out of the boat he was amazed that I had a problem with the littering as "it all sinks to the bottom."

Sure is a shame we have to deal with folks like that.

In your case it sounds like you don't really have any options with State F&W or the Coast Guard but if this guide was throwing an unsafe wake your way I'd call the police and report him.

SM...

I know night fishing isnt your thing... But I really enjoy doing what I do...
    I have a good idea on the guys you are referring...

When Im on the water and some guys start talking to me.. and is asking why im using a size 4 sculpin, a size 8 crackleback or a 6in leech and 6 (or lbs line... I get asked why.. (but Im still catching fish)
    Thats when I start talking about testing the flies for night fishing... I want to know what a streamer is doing in the water.. how fast it is sinking.. what I need to do to control to fly.. how fast it drifts in the water

Just this past week.. I was on the water fishing (guide trip)... and 6 guys walks up on me and they knowing we were there... 4 guys on on side of us and 2 maybe 3 guys behide us... no none of them really got in the way.. it was just distubing with that much water (over 2 miles of water).. that where they all had to fish right there..
    double hualing.. slapping the water, shouting, talking..
    In the middle of the night you dont care to hear other people... I like it on Taneycomo at night.. because it is so peaceful...

the client and I when up stream.. and away from everyone... and still was able to catch a nice 17bow and a really nice brown (Im guessing) about 20-21in....

when I guiding someone.. I try to stay away from other people.. most of the guy I take out at night wants to experience the excitment of night fishing...
    98% of the people that has been out with me over the past year (47 trip all logged) caught fish and was VERY PLEASED (that other 2% was pleased.. but I wasnt.. the bite wasnt there!!)... not only from catching the fish but from what they learn in 4-6 hours time... "SHAVED" 2-3 year off of try to night fish by themselfs...

I dont think I have "ever" raised my voice to a cleint.. I do have a issue .. with getting their rods/my rods showing them a strip/ a cast/ a location to cast/ or even how to mend in the dark...
    even when they are stripping a fly back.. I reach in and demo for the them either a quick snap strip/ a long and slow strip/ or even a sculpin strip (I like to call it that)

Leonard

Quote Originally Posted by lou t
    You've mentioned attributes of guides I would not like to deal with. My fishing buddy and I are taking our wifes to Branson for a non-fishing vacation. However, we hope to get out for one half day of fishing. Can you recommend a good guide?
    Yes, Stan or Carolyn Parker, owners of River Run Outfitters in Branson. They just won Orvis Outfitter of the Year for 2006. But don't expect typical Orvis prices from other parts of the country. http://www.riverrunoutfitters.com Tell them I recommended them to you. They're old friends. They fish from western drift boats. They also have a woman named Gina (?) who guides for them who is excellent. And there isn't anybody else I would feel comfortable recommending.

Leonard,

Not ALL of the Taneycomo guides are jerks and/or morons. But most of the ones who are seem to have motor boats.

And I also highly recommend the Parkers with River Run Outfitters. In fact, these are the only ones I can recommend. You won't go wrong
    Crackleback (Bob)
    Springfield, MO

Looking at my "Destination Places To Fish" list. "Tanny"---SCRATCH
    Max

After years of dealing with rude people on the rivers I started a new response to them that seems to work, makes me look like an a#%$#le but at this point I don't care. Last week a guide did the same to me and when he pulled up I looked him in the eye and said 40 Fu%$#%^ng miles of river and you gotta park your G%$$#@#d boat 10 feet in front of the spot I,m standing and fishing. That response usually moves them on. And when they move in to close and try to give me advise on a river that I fish alot I say something like this "" If I wanted your over priced info I would have hired your dumb a%%, motored all over this river bothering other people that started fishing before you even got to the river and would have cought a lot less fish.. I would not recomend these response for everyone but at six 3 255 pounds most of thes guides say nothing and the one that do are invited for a dance on the shore. Yah I know i look like an A%% but 20 plus years on the water and people getting worse about the way they move in on others is adding up and I'm at my boiling point. Now let me get off the computer and find my prozac.
    Tight Lines & Wet Nets

Rick Federation

+ Reply to Thread