+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FOTW question????

Default FOTW question????

What technique does this statement refer to: "At the bend tie in the pre-dubbed loop that was created using the Leisenring dubbing technique." I don't know this technique and might be interested in trying to learn it if it makes things easier.

Thanks,

Brian

Default Re: FOTW question????

----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

millerwb
    it in the tying tip section link http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytying/tyingtips/
    Ghost.

Brian,
    It was a dubbing loop technique that Leisenring did with the silk laid over his knee and the dubbing was applied to half of the length of silk there. He then doubled the silk back over the dubbing and rolled the silk with his thumb on his pants leg to make a dubbing loop. He then tied it in. For some reason it really does make the body more transparent than if you just use the split thread method dubbing loop or the standard dubbing loop. I'm sure others will have a much more detailed description.
    Joe

Joe pretty much nailed the technique. Leisenring kept cards of premade bodies with different colored tying silks and different dubbing materials so he could make a fly with the perfect body color quickly and easily. (The cards were cardboard with a slot on each side to keep the body from untwisting.

If you can find a copy of The Art of Tying the Wet Fly and Fishing the Flymph by James Leisenring and Pete Hidy, it has all the information on the Leisenring dubbing method and a ton of information on tying wet flies and fishing them effectively.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Here is an aid to making flymph bodies that should stop you covering yourself in hare's ear fur etc.
    It is taken from the above mentioned book and is not difficult to make.
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

When I first read Jim Leisenring's book I had never heard of a dubbing loop and I thought that his dubbing loop technique was very intriguing but sure looked like alot of trouble. Now I have learned to make a dubbing loop right on the fly, I really can't imagine why I would do it on a dubbing board or on my pants then tie it on to the fly. Given the same thread and the same dubbing material, why would it matter if the dubbing loop is twisted right on the fly or twisted off the fly and then tied on? I have to admit to never twisting dubbing loops off the fly so I would have to listen to anyone who has a good reason for doing so. Any thoughts?

That was going to be my question. . . Why other with this board thing when you can make a dubbing loop on the fly??

-wayne
    ----------------
    Wayne
    Trout, Bass, Carp, Whatever!
    http://flynut.wordpress.com

i do it on the fly but i guess a reason for doing it on a board would be so that you could do up a bunch of em at a time then just tie them in making the tying proess quicker.......... am i right???

Fly and Tie is pretty close. makes the tying go a bit faster, but the big advantage that I see is having bodies made up with different colors of tying silk and different types of dubbing (mole, hare's ear, etc) so that you could match what is going on in the river, and do it quickly.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread