+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Maybe in over my head.

Blog Entries

Default Maybe in over my head.

Well, some of you know I'm a first timer at FF. I also may be getting in over my head. However, I'm loving it this time, now that I'm older, and when I'm interested in things, I usually try and get into it as much as possible.

With that being said. I'd like build myself my own rod, I want a nice, I don't mind spending money, I'll take the time and buy what I want, then do the work. I have a crappy rod and reel as it is right now so I don't really want to spend $200 to build a rod when I want to build what I would consider my dream rod. I'd like to have a couple, maybe 3 rods, but I still want some nice rods. So I'd rather sink my money into what I want.

I know from past experiences that it's not bright to sink a lot of money into a project when it's the first project. But, with what's said above, I have a few more questions.

How difficult is it to build a rod? Is there any "walkthroughs" that I can find on FAOL? What processes can't be fixed when building a rod? I'd like to build 2 dream rods, well, like I said, what I consider my own dream rods. But, one for Salmon, one for Trout. And I then might built a 3wt for pans.

Is there anywhere in Canada I can buy online what I need, if not, what's the best places online I can buy from?

And basically any information at all anyone can add for me to be aware of, or tips, hints, anything. I appreciate it greatly. I'd hate to have to throw away a $100-200 blank into the trash.

You guys are great, thanks alot for all the help,
    Shane

Default Re: Maybe in over my head.

try this: http://www.flyanglersonline.com/begin/graphite/ and check out Hook and Hackle on the sponsors page for starter kits for rod building.
    I can think of few acts more selfish than refusing a vaccination.

Blog Entries

Thanks a lot for the link, that's exactly what I need

Shane

I just built a Hook & Hackle 3wt from one of the new kits that they just put together and love it for pan fish. Like you, I can build pretty much what I want. I have Sage 5wt & 6 wt and they are nice rods but I enjoy fishing my little H&H 3 wt every bit as well and I believe that the kit was just somewhere around 65.00 U.S. I don't believe that you would have any problem building a rod. Just take your time. Good luck.
    Larry

Checkout Rodbuildersupplies.com if you want a Canadian outfit. Ask for Andy. He was very helpful with a rod I built for a friend a few yrs ago

I would tend to agree with the suggestion to check Hook and Hackle. The least expensive blank (and/or kit) they have is a great place to learn. Get it in a size you would normally fish, and taking your time, have fun! There aren't any rules to colors of wrap you use, so you can really have at it!! You should come in way less than $75 for all the materials, but the finished product will be priceless!! Guess the fun-est thing about it, is that the first rod you build could become your very favorite, go-to rod. After you master thaat rod ... the sky is the limit!!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Blog Entries

I'll pick up a cheap H&H kit then and learn with it, then build the nice one I want to build. The cheap one will replace my crappy rod I have right now. I'll use the same reel for the cheap kit, and maybe a Ross Reel on my good one. And besides, I love panfishing

Thanks a lot everyone
    Shane

I really wouldn't call the kits "cheap". Inexpensive maybe. The H&H rods (Pac Bay, Rainshadow) are excellent little rods. I think you'll be very pleasantly surprized. I use the rods for trout fishing, and love 'em. I own Hardy glass rods, bamboos, and a bunch of Orvis, but I always head for my "home made" rods whenever I head out.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

+ Reply to Thread