+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New Rod

Default New Rod

My Birthday is around the corner and am wondering what rod to ask for. I have a Winston BIIx 8'6'' 5 wt. a St. Croix LU 9' 5 wt. and 6 wt. a TFO TICR 9' 4 wt. a St. Croix 7'6'' 2 wt. Should i get a 8' 4 wt. or a 8' 3 wt. ? To complete my trout rod collection ? and what rod in these configurations do you suggest ?

DW

Default Re: New Rod

3 wt

second the 3wt
    Catch and Release So Others Can Enjoy Them

While I liken helping someone pick a new rod to helping them pick a new wife; I vote for an 8'0" 4wt.

3 wts are fun too but 4's do more.

if you like faster rods, the cabelas lst 8'3" 4 piece 3 wt. is a fun little rod. if you like slower rods, i would try out a fiberglass rod. depending on how much you want to spend you could get a mcfarland or steffen built to your specifications.

My wife has an Elkhorn 8.5' 3wt from their Ladies Line that is an awesome little rod. I think it is a raspberry pink version of Elkhorn's Western Series.

Normand Guest

since you don't specify what and where you like to fish its difficult to give a recommendation on which weight to use.

maybe the 4wt would do nice for you. the stiffness/softness of a rod is a personal choice based on your casting style.

if you were blind folded and were asked to test cast rods of your stiffness/softness liking, would brand name be your first choice???

After looking at the rods you already have and if there is a remote chance that you will get what you ask for, I would recommend you request a:

BAMBOO FLY ROD!!

That added to your already fine collection of fly rods, would complete your collection.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I will be using this rod for small streams in Montana and surrounding states. I am going to guide school in August and i am driving from Texas so I will be driving through some prime fishing territory.

DW

I'd go with the 3wt. That way you have all bases covered.

+ Reply to Thread