+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casting Videos

Default Casting Videos

I would like to improve my overall casting, and was looking for recommendations concerning any good instructional DVDs as well as other resources that might assist me. Thanks.

Ron

Default Re: Casting Videos

Ron,

Castwell's instructions are about as simple and straight forward as any I've read.

My favorite DVD is "Lefty Kreh on Fly Casting". It's also very simple and straight forward.

Also, read Castwell's review of "Dynamics of Fly Casting" by Joan Wulff. I've heard nothing but praise for this video.

Tracy
    Tracy

Men and fish are alike. They both get into trouble when they open their mouths. ~Author Unknown

what they said
    and castwells article last week was just about the best lesson you could have

Blog Entries

I'd follow up Lefty and Joans videos with Doug Swishers The essence of fly casting. The first two should get you on your way and Doug's has quite a few different easy to learn types of casts that will help you a lot on the stream.
    (ps. if you buy the video you should also buy Joans book it helped me a lot. )

I have been trying for almost a year now to beg borrow buy or steal a copy of Tom Whites video on roll casting . Sadly I have been unable to find one.

Best of all was standing in front of Ladyfisher and Castwell at the fish-in so they could observe and then point out what I was doing wrong and how to correct it. That was the best help of all.

Ps. Castwell's pointers in his link were my starting point and really do work.

Another good tip from Castwell that really helped me is to close your eyes and cast, It improves your timing and lets you feel the rod loading and unloading.

and of course as always . Keep thy back cast uppeth.

When I first saw the Royal Wulff's Fly-O I thought it was probably a useless gimmick but last winter My local flyshop guy recommended I try it. I bought one and I really believe it was the single thing that helped me the most. Once you can lay the entire line out on the floor or the lawn you can cast a real #5wt line at least 60feet. I wore out 6 sets of yarn casting it in my living room but heck you can buy a 300 foot ball of replacement yarn for 4 bux. The link below will show you a picture of the Fly-O.

http://www.royalwulff.com/educational.html#fly-o
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by RJD31
    I would like to improve my overall casting, and was looking for recommendations concerning any good instructional DVDs as well as other resources that might assist me. Thanks.

Ron
    how about a lesson from your local fly shop??

The videos suggested above are great, so is Castwell's stuff. But the key is regular practice. The lawn is good, but water is even better, even if it's just the local bluegill pond. Instinct is developed through repetition. So, whatever choice you make for videos, be sure to take what you learn to the water as often as possible to develop the muscle memory and instinct required to make casting second nature.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

+ Reply to Thread