+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: whats everyones kayak???

Default whats everyones kayak???

whats everyone using as there kayak choice?????

and im lookin in to buying one what would you suggest for me (if its different from the one you own)

i will only be doing lake and pond fishing with it if it helps

thanx in advance guys!!!!

Default Re: whats everyones kayak???

Hobie Outback - is there another kind?
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

I mostly use a canoe these days for my freshwater fishing. However, I do have and use an Old Town Loon 138 kayak to fish out of once in a while. I also have used a number of sit-on-tops- Ocean Kayaks, Wilderness Systems and Heritage. I prefer the sit inside as I can extend my fishing season from the boat as the weather and water get colder. There are plenty of advantages to a sit inside. One disadvantage is access to gear and limited space for gear storage. That's why I use a canoe.

If I were buying a kayak for fishing I'd be looking at a rec kayak with a large cockpit. Easy entry and exit, easier access to gear. Something along the lines of the Loon or Perceptions Acadia, Heritage Featherlights, Necky Manta.

Seeing as you are mostly fishing lakes and ponds have you considered a solo canoe? They are lighter to carry than a kayak and will get you into some backwater ponds you have to hike into. They can be used with a kayak paddle and and will give you easy access to your gear and you won't be limited to what you can bring.

Wenonah, Bell and Old Town all make solo canoes that cost about the same as a rec kayak. Wenonah, Bell and Hornbeck all make super light kevlar solos that cost a bit more, but are a dream to paddle.

Good luck in your search.

Me - Ocean Kayak Drifter
    My wife - Perception Swing

Just got a Native Watercraft Ultimate - sort of across between a kayak and canoe. Very stable and very comfortable seat. Bought it for small lakes and ponds.

TxEngr

Wilderness Systems Tarpon 120

Wilderness Systems Pungo Duralite 120

jed

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

WS T-120 and T140.

There are a LOT of nice kayaks out there. Of course, test them before buying if you have that chance.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

I have a Ocean Kayak Prowler 15. I cover a lot of distance when I'm fishing so the longer kayak suites my style better (plus I'm a big guy). For lakes and ponds, I would go with a smaller kayak, something in the 12 foot range.

IMHO, SOT's are much better suited to fishing. In cold weather, just put on a pair of waders. SOT's allow much easier access to your stuff and are much easier to mount and dismount for wading.
    You don't ever want a crisis to go to waste... - Rahm Emanuel

Who is John Galt?

Chris:

I also have a Loon 138. It is a bit of a dog to paddle but this is of relatively little concern if you are going to do more fishing than paddling. It does have a relatively large cockpit. That both gives you a little more space to work in and is essential if you are over 6' and your knees don't bend backwards. I concur with "kayak angler" that a solo canoe has some real advantages as a fishing platform and use mine a lot more than the kayak - but then a kayak is a lot better paddling platform (particularly in the wind). There are a lot of good kayaks out there and it may be hard to make a wrong decision.

David

+ Reply to Thread