+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Questions, Questions, Questions.

Default Questions, Questions, Questions.

Questions I always wanted to ask but never did.
    When fishing 4 to 8 hours, how many fly boxes do you carry in your vest?
    How many flys in each box?
    How many different types of flys in each box?
    When fish are taking fly of a certain hatch and not taking yours, even though it matches the hatch do you change flys?
    How long do you fish with one fly when fish are not taken the one you have on?
    Do you often fish alone?
    Do you ever just leave the water to rest and enjoy the scenery?
    Do you drive a long distance to fish for one day?
    Do you continue to fish only one area or move up and down stream?
    How many rods do you take to the water?
    Do you tie on the 1st fly at your car or wait until you are at waters edge.
    Do you prepare your gear for the next fishing trip when you have stopped fishing for the day or do you wait until the next time out to clean up.
    When you change flys do you put the wet fly back in your fly box.
    Just curious. These are some of the things I do and wondered if others do the same.

Tony C.

Default Re: Questions, Questions, Questions.

YIKES!

OK I'll bite...

1. - I use a chest box but I still don't vary the number of flies I carry based on how long I plan to fish since I always PLAN to fish for 18 hours.

2. - Guesstimate...128 per tray, (box)

3. - One to three

4. - After I'm CONVINCED it's not my presentation; I change flies like a mad man.

5. - Depends on my mood; if I think a particular fish is being as stubborn as me I'll move to another fish with the same fly...sometimes moving all day till I find a cooperative fish.

6. - 99% of the time.

7. - Never, I only leave to have a beer or get more cigars or whiskey.

8. - No because I don't have to. If I want to; 2 hours each way is about my one day limit.

9. - Depends on the creek how far I move but I move.

10. - If I know the stream and it's close to home I take one or two rods. If I don't know what I may encounter and I'm far from home...way too many.

11. - Most of the time at the water's edge while firing up my first stogie.

12. - My gear is VERY organized so it is ready to go 99% for the next trip after the last trip.

13. - I keep my used flies in a "Fly Trap" and they stay out over night and get put away the following day. I NEVER put flies away wet.. This is the missing 1% from #12.

TonyC, I'll share what I do ....
    1. I take 2 flyboxes when fishing 4-8 hours; there are about 250 flies altogether in 15-18 different patterns.
    2.I often fish alone, and I'll fish the 4-5 different flies throughout the day. If a hatch is on and the fish are feeding I'll fish a matching dry with a PT or midge dropper.
    3. I have never put my rod in the truck and then gone back to the river to enjoy the scenery.
    4. I drive 280 miles round trip to fish my favorite waters.
    5. I never have on the stream more than one rod. I move around and rarely fish one hole for more than an hour.
    6. When I change flies they go back into my fly box. When I arrive at the stream I usually have a tandem rig already rigged up.
    7. I do not prepare my gear for the next trip. I cut off my fly and reel in my line and tippet. I just got some reel dots to hold my tippet.

Take care,
    Greg

- Two

- Not enough ? probably around 40-50 right now, but I just trimmed down.

- I have no idea.

When fish are taking fly of a certain hatch and not taking yours, even though it matches the hatch do you change flys?
    - Rarely. If I do, its from a dry to emerger. Or. If there is a masking hatch going off, I?ll change flies but I didn?t really match the hatch in the first place?so I?m not sure if that counts.

- Depends on how thought out my initial fly choice was. I like to think the fly is the last thing you change.

Do you often fish alone?
    - almost always

- I will leave the water to take pictures.

- I did five hours to NY, stayed overnight, fished until 7, then drove five hours home. So yeah.

- I always move after a bit. When I get in that "one more cast" mentality, its time to move on. Me slapping the water in futility a few more times generally doesn't move the fish to bite.

- usually one; unless its a spring creek where I will bring one for dries and another for everything else.

- No, unless there are about 60 mayflies pasted to my windshield.

Do you prepare your gear for the next fishing trip when you have stopped fishing for the day or do you wait until the next time out to clean up.
    - Unfortunately I?m not quite that responsible.

- Depends on the fly. Wooly bugger; no. Thread Nymph; sure.

Thanks for the answers. I thought I was one of a few doing some of these questions. Believe it or not
    I questioned myself about these items, am I using the fly to long. I travel over one hour to fish when there are a few rivers close by not to my liking. Maybe I should get out for a while. (No I don't eat but the idea of a beer sounds good and I. will give it a try) An occasional partner has remarried after being widowed for some years. He married a woman MUCH YOUNGER than himself. I doubt if he will be fishing for a while, in fact I doubt if he will see the sun much for some time, or be in any condition to fish or play golf. (Sorry I just had to say that). Back to the questions, I carry two boxes, one larger and one small, large for streamers and small for midges. maybe I have to many different types, but I'll keep what I have. when someone enters the water near by and starts to catch fish after a few cast Its time to change. I have seen two rods being carried in, one left on the band and fishing with one. I don't know why either. How do I choose the next fly, well I ask what he is using to get a hit right away.

Thanks TonyC.

I'm still very much a newbie, but I have developed some habits already. Let's see if we have the same ones:

I always carry 2 boxes. One in each front pocket of my vest

Around 100

All mixed up in case I lose one in the river.

Yeah

Half an hour or so

Do you often fish alone?
    Nearly always

Sometimes

I live 10 minutes from my favorite spot. Within 1 hour drive I can get to the north, middle and south forks of the American river, the North adn South Yuba river, adn the Bear River.

I move within about a 100 yard area

One

At the water

It takes about 1 minute to get my stuff ready. My rods and vest are in my office and my waders, boots, gravel guards and wading belt are in a big blue IKEA bag ready to be tossed into my truck.

Nope, I have a wool drying patch clipped to my vest

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC.
    Do you often fish alone?
    Just curious. These are some of the things I do and wondered if others do the same.

Tony C.
    ok let's see...

1. It doesn't matter how long I'm fishing, it depends on where I'm fishing on how many boxes I take. I have a dedicated small stream box that basically just has 30 or so attractor patterns in it and then for all other trout fishing I only take two boxes, each holding somewhere in the neighborhood of a couple hundred flies (I'm guessing...could be a little off)

4. yeah, I changes flies if their not taking my fly during a hatch...I have a couple of patterns that I call "hatch busters" that I'll throw on if I can't get them to go for my supposed match of the hatch...I'll give you a hint, one is a terrestrial...

5. If I'm getting nothing on a particular fly, I'll change within 15 minutes or so...really depends on the water...if it's water where fish are fewa and far between, I'll leave it on a bit longer.

6. I fish alone probably 95% of the time...4% with my dog (only during the winter) and maybe 1% with another person. most of the time I'll meet people out fishing and sometimes we'll spot for each other but that's about it...I find that it's much more relaxing for me to be alone.

7. I'll always rest water and just sit and watch...I do this alot at the Deschutes where I'll be casting to a fish, if I put it down, I'll just kick back, enjoy the scenery, let it start feeding again for a while and try again. I don't do this as much on freestone streams where there's much more prostpecting going on.

8. (I'm sure I'm skipping a few questions here...)...I always take exactly two rods and two reels with me only one ON the water), in one day last year, I broke a rod (I did have a spare luckily) and later on broke the handle off my reel (didn't have a spare but I used it anyway...but it was a pain in the arse)

Always tie the fist one on after you get to the water and have a chance to look around...and I never put a wet fly back in the box until after it dries...

but hey, that's just me...
    "Some people fish their entire lives without realizing it's not the fish they're after."

Quote Originally Posted by TonyC.
    Do you often fish alone?

Tony C.

1. always 4 in the vest. if it's just 3-4 hrs 2 in my shirt.

2. bout a hundread I think, depends on stile & size

3. 4-5

4. when i'm not screwing up....always

5. 15-20 min.

6. yes

7. no

8. 100-150mi.

9. always moving

10. 1

11. wait till i'm at the stream

12. before the next trip

13. not till it drys

-That depends on where and what I am fishing for, the time of year, and what vest or pack I am using. Generally 2.

-between 60 and 200 depending on the box

-Usually have 2 general types of flies with numerous sizes colors and patterns

-After I downsize my tippet and change my presentation. Then I take a real good look and see if something else is coming off. Then I will either go the opposite of the hatch, go up or down a size of the hatch, or give up and just watch.

-Until I fish through the section, then I change up and fish it again.

Do you often fish alone?
    -Mostly

-Of course

-If I have the time

-Always fish downstream. Cast step, cast step. Unless I see fish that is.

-One rod, sometimes a different line or 2

-Depends on where I am fishing and what for.

- Depends on if I am late for something or not.

-They usually stay on my patch until I use them again and loose them. Very rarely does a used fly make it back into a box. If I don't loose them fishing, they fall off the patch, or I give them away. Thats why I tie flies.

i dont fee like typing that much

+ Reply to Thread