+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mini Bobbin Holder

Default Mini Bobbin Holder

So I'm putting together this little fly tying kit to backpack with. I'm planning on winding some of the thread I will need onto those tiny bobbins you can get at the fabric store. I feel like I have seen this somewhere before. I also wonder if a regular bobbin...pre stretching...would hold something of this size. Anyone else tried anything like this, or seen the mini bobbin holder.

Default Re: Mini Bobbin Holder

i think nor vise has the automatic bobbin which uses that size of spools, but the bobbin in the beginning is around 20 something dollars
    little expensive but hey if it works .

....not tring to be a smartass here,
    but why would you want to bring a tying kit backpacking?
    If you're not sure what flies you need to bring, how would you know what materials to bring?
    If you don't what materials to bring, you're going to be carrying a lot more stuff (and more weight) than you need to.
    Backpacking no no's
    The #1 rule of backpacking.... Don't carry what you don't need.
    To me every extra ounce on my back makes a difference
    The less I carry, the better I feel, the better my attitude, the more fun the trip.
    Bring a box or two of core flys and be done with it.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

I believe the Matarelli Midge Bobbin will hold those.
    Joe

I tried tying flies once while camping. When I wasn't dropping what I was doing to swat bugs, I was distracted by a bug in my face, or I was picking up things the wind had blown away. Way more effort than it was worth. Just tie like a mad fool before you leave and make sure the boxes are filled.

The Materlli midge is just what you need. I keep several spooled up with sewing machine bobbins on my fly thing desk. I use my wife's sewing machine to load them with 8/0 thread and keep them handy.
    "Tomorrow is the most important thing in life. Comes into us at midnight very clean. It's perfect when it arrives and it puts itself in our hands. It hopes we've learned something from yesterday." John Wayne.

"When you know, to know that you know, and when you do not know, to know that you do not know - that is true knowledge..." Charlie Chan (author Earl Derr Biggers ...Behind That Curtain 192.

Dudley, believe me...I smell what your stepping in. The kit should weigh less than a pound included all materials and tools. The vice I have weighs about half a pound (Turrall Streamside).

I like tying while camping, and I like having something to do at night. My initial estimates have me at 35/40 pounds for a six day trip...more than manageable. I plan on tying a bunch before I get out there, but like I said, nothing feels better than kicking out a few flies by the headlamp and fishing them first thing the next morning. If I end being an ounce over 40...the kit is the first thing to go.

Hi GBurgFisher,

I used to have a tiny bobbin holder for those tiny spools. It came with a box of 8 small spools of floss, and the whole thing was put out by Shakespear. You might be able to get one ordered in from your local fly shop?

- Jeff
    Am fear a chailleas a chanain caillidh e a shaoghal. -

He who loses his language loses his world.

I have those in my shop. they come in a small floss kit and are made by Terra Tools. The whole thing is smaller than a pack of smokes.

+ Reply to Thread