+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: making a list

Default making a list

i've found that making a list is helpful before going to a fly shop. I take away items on the list that aren't really needed or that i forget what i wanted them for. The only problem is every time i take something off the list more goes on

WWFF

Default Re: making a list

I make a list also, because I don't want to have to go back to soon. The closest Fly shop is 75 miles away and its an Orvis Shop. Next closest I know of and can find is Bass Pro in Nashville, 150 miles away, and I don't want to forget anything.

Doesn't this go against the whole concept of shopping? Aren't you just supposed to go into these places and do "Oh mys!" JGW

When I shop online I always like it when a retailer offers an online wish list. I put items in my wish list as I think of things I "need". Then when it comes time to place my order, I look through the list and try to be pretty brutal with pruning out stuff to stay in a predetermined budget.

i always make a list also!
    i hate forgetting something even if its not an important material
    and for some reason i can never only get whats on the list

I make a list also, but I list the pattern I want to tie with the material next to it.
    Also if the pattern is in a magazine, I list that also. then before I orfer I look at it again to seeif I still want to do it.

Rick

I make a list also, but I list the pattern I want to tie with the material next to it.
    Also if the pattern is in a magazine, I list that also. then before I orfer I look at it again to seeif I still want to do it.
    Now that's organisation for you! I run a list but usually I either buy something on the list and forget what I wanted it for, or forget where I saw the recipe.

D'Oh!
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

ussually i'll forget to bring the list or i'll always end up with more than what was on it

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Hi WWFF,

I've actually gone one step better than just making a shopping list. I have a list of all my fly tying materials (item by item) recorded on an Excel Spreadsheet. Yes, it took a little bit of time to do that but it's well worth the effort. After a tying session, I subtract the approximate amount of the material I've used. I keep a pretty accurate hook count and change the background color of other materials that are running low. I use yellow to show heavy use of a material, pink to show almost gone and red to show I've used up all of that material. I can then tell at a glace what I need to put on my shopping list. This way I don't buy stuff that I already have. I hated buying a pack of copper Flashabou and then discovering 2 other packs stashed away in another drawer. My Excel Spreadsheet has really worked well for me. Try it---you'll like it. 8T

Eight Thumbs,
    I am very impressed by your organization! I would like to know more details about how to set up the Spreadsheet??
    Unlike going to the grocery store, where I take a list of items and I ONLY buy what's on the list and behave myself, going to the fly shop with a list doesn't work that way! When I go in a fly shop I'm like a kid in a candy store. It's sort of like, "Let's hurry and get the stuff on my list so I can spend 3 hrs snooping around the shop and developing new ideas!" Yea! I'm like a Mad Scientist!
    Being a perfectionist drove me nuts because it had to be the exact material made by the correct company or I had a fit. I appreciated the Post a while back about 'Where Do You Store Your Materials?' because it proved I wasn't completely off my rocker, since my materials weren't neatly stored.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread