+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Northern New Mexico

Default Northern New Mexico

In two weeks (July 12th) I'm headed up to fish some of the small mountain streams of northern New Mexico - Rio Costillo, Cimarron, lower Rio Hondo, upper Red River, Rio Santa Barbara, etc. - and some of the lakes - Cabresto, Middle Fork, Shuree - for 10 days. I've been going for about 20 years now but I'm always looking for more information. Anybody ever fish these areas and got some reports or "secrets"?
    Thanks,
    Joe

Well, this is no secret, but the fish are bigger in the San Juan River. I don't know what the flow is right now, I haven't had a reason to look. With all of the snow in that basin this past year, it would be worht it to you to diligently inquire into runoff.

I appreciate the advice, but I really prefer the smaller streams and the fewer people. You are right about the snow this year. The Rio Grande is still almost unfishable and the streams I mentioned are just now beginning to clear after run-off. Some still aren't. The new owners of Eagle Nest Lake are still screwing up the Cimarron by not letting hardly any water out.

Joe,
    here you go: [url=http://www.losrios.com/fishing_report.php:569bc]http://www.losrios.com/fishing_report.php[/url:569bc]
    Thats the best source for reports on those rivers. Your best chance for seizable fish are just above the confluences with the RG. The "secret" is that the Rio holds fish as big those in the Juan, they're just a little harder to find.

You're right, Los Rios is good, as is Ed Adams' website and a couple more. A lot of the "local" reports, however, get their reports directly from the NMDGF fishing reports. Some of the sites list reports that are a few weeks old and, at this time of the year, that is very old news, as you well know.
    Joe

Pick up a copy of this month?s Southwest Fly fishing. There is a wonderful article on the Cimarron. I have fished the Cimarron for the past five years and love it. Some imparities; a 4 wt. 7-8? rod is perfect. I?ll fish a 7? 2 wt. 8? 3 wt. and an 8? 4 wt. I also have a 7?5 wt. for when the breeze is up. This time of year fish a #16 elk wing caddis with a copper john as a dropper. The fish strike fast so be ready\y. It does get a lot of pressure during the summer so it is best to get out early, take a break in the afternoon and go back at it in the evening. You also should hit the Valley Vidal for some Rio Grand Cuts. If you want a guide recommendation email me. I will be there with the Angel Fire Mountain Theatre July 5-12, sorry I?ll miss your trip, would love to show you the river. There?s a nice fly shop in Eagle Nest as well as nice place for ice-cream in the afternoon during the rain storms.

Fred

fbchristo@cox.net

------------------

Fred,
    I've seen the article on the Cimarron and am going to try the Orange Asher as the author suggests. Never used it before. I've been fishing the Cimarron for about 20 years now and couldn't agree more on the Elk Hair and the Copper John. However, last summer I nailed the browns there with a Lime Trude (believe it or not) and a Fox Squirrel Tail nymph. Don't ask what possessed me to put on the Lime Trude because I don't know. I recently bought a 6' 2-weight that I can't wait to try out there.
    Also, nothing beats a smallish (14-1Stimulator in the Valle Vidal. The cutts must think it's a caddis or grasshopper or even a late stay-over stonefly. The Vidal is one of the most beautiful places I've ever seen. I'll bet you agree.
    Joe

Fred,
    Just remembered - try an Ultimate BLT sandwich at the Lucky Shoe in Eagle Nest. Unbelievable. They put shrimp and avocado on it.
    JB

[This message has been edited by Joe Billingsley (edited 29 June 2005).]

+ Reply to Thread