+ Reply to Thread

Thread: New to Bamboo - Ron Bennett...???

Default New to Bamboo - Ron Bennett...???

Hello everyone. I had a chance to cast bamboo for the first time a few days ago and was really "hooked". I went up to my local shop here in Pittsburgh, PA and a maker by the name of Ron Bennett was dropping off a new rod so I had a chance to cast it as well as another, I believe one was a Paul young perfection taper and the other a Garrisson??? Both were 5 weights. WOW. I have only been fly fishing for two years, with graphite, and I have enjoyed big fish much more than our trout here in PA, but I think bamboo is going to change that for me.

I was wondering if anyone has heard of Ron? I know he is a Proffessor at Carnegie Mellon (bronze sculpture) and his rods start @ $450 for one tip and $650 for two tips. I believe he hand splits and planes the bamboo and makes his own reel seats and inserts.

I guess I have no reference point to go on as to if these rods are a good thing or not. Everyone I've seen on the web starts at about double the price, except for the imported junk that I'm not about to touch.

I want a quality rod to fish with and it would be nice if it would hold its value, but I certainly don't need a $1500-3000 rod if one of thes will fish as well and last as long. If there are any suggestions you could help with for someone getting started, I would really appreciate it!

Hi bjc:

I know nothing about this builder. The prices are not unreasonable for "hobby" builders - meaning someone that has a job to support their craft. If you want to see what this means think about $650 for a rod that has $200 - $250 worth of components and 40 hours of labor - and then the retailer needs to make 20 to 40%. If the rod casts well, the components seem to be of good quality, and the workmanship seems good (no glue lines and smooth even run-free finish) then the rod is likely to be a good choice. It is less likely to be a great investment, however, as rods by lesser known makers tend not to hold value as well as those by recognized makers. This of course will not matter much if you are going to keep the rod and fish it forever.
    If you would like to see if you can get a better evaluation of this builder, you might want to post your questions on the Classic Cane site (http://p205.ezboard.com/bclarksclassicflyrodforum). If his work is known at all, someone there will be able to give you an opinion.
    Do be careful - very few people end up owning only one bamboo rod.

David

While I have never heard of this maker I did a google search on him and find he has made at least one rod for a TU drawing. I think they at least offer decent rods for these drawings.

The price seems reasonable for, as David points out, the material and labor that goes into building a cane rod. Did you examine the rod? Are there any glue lines where the strips meet? Is the workmanship something you would be proud to own? Most importantly did you cast the rod? Is it a rod you could fish for years to come? If the rod meets these basic requirements a rod from another "name" rod maker will cost you 2-3X that although this rod will not appreciate like a rod from a well know maker.

It's value is what it is worth to you. You might want to try a few other rods to be sure it's truly THE one for you.

I know most folks say be wary of hobby makers. And I think that is good advice. But IMHO it should not be read as "run away from all hobby rod makers."

It is after all, how most of the pros started and I'm convinced there are some people who just LOVE the process. Rods made for LOVE not subsistence. Can you beat that?

If you have any lingering doubts, get an "x" days money back guarantee and have it checked out by someone with more experience in the field.

I got my first bamboo rod from a hobby maker and haven't regretted it for a minute. In fact I asked the same maker for another -August delivery- for the wife.

Jim

I'm picking one of Ron's rods up on the 2/27 2010. Seems like the price has gone up, a bunch. I'm thoroughly impressed with his rods. I'm getting a 7'6" 4 wt. I'll post pictures.

Hobby builders are a great way to get your first bamboo rod and start to enjoy the magic. Nice rods for great pricing, usually less then a high end graphite and you'll get 2 tips!

If you enjoyed casting the rods you tried and don't find the price too steep (I don't think it is, but that's just me) order a rod. Fishing bamboo changes the experience for sure.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

+ Reply to Thread