+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Has anyone tried this as a tying light?

Default Has anyone tried this as a tying light?

I saw this today and wondered if any of you had seen it or tried it as a tying light. I am thinking about it.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.as ... 51355&pn=1

Thanks,

Don
    Don Rolfson

Default Re: Has anyone tried this as a tying light?

My experience with LED lights for tying has been disappointing. While the light was plenty bright the color balance was way off, made things look weird. I still use it for trvel, until I find a better one.

The extension arm on your lamp seems short for tying, I found the following one at Lowe's made for a BBQ, it has a 22" flex arm.

http://www.lowes.com/lowes/lkn?action=p ... lpage=none

nope i have not tried it,
    but i would agree that the color of the l.e.d. would be way off for tying

The price may seem inviting, but beware of the adage of you only get what you pay for. What about late evening tying when you forgot to charge the lamp, or forget to shut the lamp down? As mentioned already I also feel a longer goose necked lamp would work better for one. IMO

There are some tools you might scrimp on but your fly tying light should not be one of them.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Gotta agree with everybody, color is way off it can't possibly be bright enough & arm is to short......get a Mckenzie light

Bud

Blog Entries

I got a rather expensive Ott light a while back and have never regretted spending the money for it. By the end of an evening of tying flies My eyes thank me for it. Now however there are plenty of full spectrum lights on the market so the cost of the Otts have gone down quite a bit. I don't like the kind of light the leds give off for tying. But they are great for camping because they never seem to run your batteries down.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Has anyone tried the compact flourescent bulbs? I have never tried them for tying but I did put 6 outside to replace the six 100W bulbs that light up the yard. My power bill loved me for that.

Also, can you get the ott-light in just the bulb to fit a standard light? I have a flexible light over my desk and use a regular bulb, have had this for years.

Dwight

Blog Entries

The ott bulb seems to have a unique base that probably won't fit anything but an ott. However you can now buy the desk lamp Ott for around $50.00 now as opposed to $139.00 when I bought mine. They do sell full spectrum regular light bulbs now . I got one for my reading room cost $6.95. I don't know if they have the newer flourescent bulbs in full spectrum yet. And I will say this about the 2 Otts lamps I own. They are heavy duty and built to last with heavy duty switches and recepticals. None of those cheap, break in two months garbagey things you get now a days. Plus I do look good in proper lighting.

In BC 5 years from now the law will change to make the old style incandescent lights Illegal because of the energy savings to be had by the newer styles. I have the newer ones all thru my house and the savings do add up.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Yeah, they are getting on the compact flourescent bulb kick here in New Brunswick also, probably the same time frame, 5 years and the old bulbs will be gone.

Is this the one you got?
    http://ottlite.com/productdetail.asp?product_id=49

Dwight

+ Reply to Thread