+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your Nolan Ryan Fly?

Default Your Nolan Ryan Fly?

Instead of hijacking the related thread....

What is your fly that never seems to work for you - that everyone else raves about, and just waists your tipet?

Mine isn't a fly... it is a spinner... a Mepps Spinner in fact... I am convinced that it is a conspiricy to make me look like an idiot. I have never - ever had a bite on a mepps. People tell me all kinds of lies about the fish they catch on them... they fake pictures putting that ugly thing in their fishes mouths, they have even been known to preform slight of hand by fishing with something else, and then magically changing gear when I come and look.

Then - secretly behind their hands and my back, they laugh their fool heads off when I tye one of those dasterdly things on my line in desperation, and catch nothing but moss.

What is your Nolan Ryan fly? If I don't catch something on a clouser some day soon, it is going to reach Nolan Ryan status too.

ED

Default Re: Your Nolan Ryan Fly?

muddler minnow!!
    never caught a fish in that ridiculous thing!
    i never fish em' anympre because i have given up on the dumb thing!

never caught something on a clouser!!!!!!!!!!!!! WHAT!!!!!!??????? ARE YOU JOKING

ED,
    The Rooster Tail spinner is the ONLY spinner! (brown)
    I think the Mepps is a terrible waste of manufacturing time.
    ALL the Royal flies except the streamer.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

The Clouser has already reached Nolan Ryan status with me. Even after I learned how to tie it correctly. And the Wooly Bugger is tied with it for first. Just can't seem to catch anything on them.

Interesting, but for some reason I can't catch hardly a thing on Rick's walmart yarn. One gill in two years. Without a doubt I'm not working it right. Maybe it's just my attitude toward walmart. Maybe I just don't want it to work. Anyone seen my psychologist? JGW

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

PastorEd,

This is a really good question and I'm waiting to see what the responses are going to be. I can't add to the votes for (or against) the Clouser. I've had very good luck with Clousers for stripers, hybrids and largemouth and several other assorted strays.

My vote for the Nolan Ryan Award would have to be the Thunder Creek Series. I've tied bunches of them in most of the major patterns, fished them for years and only picked up an occasional fish here and there. I think they have a good shape but very little action in the water. Give me a Woolly Bugger every time. 8T

Quote Originally Posted by Philly
    The Clouser has already reached Nolan Ryan status with me. Even after I learned how to tie it correctly. And the Wooly Bugger is tied with it for first. Just can't seem to catch anything on them.
    Philly,
    Size- 12 Gold or Copper Bead Head Burnt Orange Woolybugger, 2 strands of flash in tail.
    If you fish this fly in a lake and don't catch anything........ I'll eat my hat!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Back in the late 70's I was introduced to a fly tied by a local named the Lowe's Gray Nymph. It was a GREAT fly. I lived in California and fished every bit of it North and Southern California. This became the only fly I'd use.

Took it up to Montana and Yellowstone area and hammered the fish with this fly. It became the ONLY fly I used for several years.

Then I moved here to Arizona. I don't know what it is but even the Bluegill snub their nose at it. I have been trying that fly here in Arizona since 1991 and have yet to get even a strike on this fly. I don't get it!
    Let No One Walk Alone
    <*)))))><{----------}><((((*>

Marabou Miss and its most likely not the fly, its the fly angler. The fly probably works better than the fly angler. There is an old saying among shooters that may ring true for fly anglers. "Its not the gun, its the shooter. The gun shoots better than the shooter." Most likely its my presentation or my retrieval or both and I can see now that I am not alone in this failure. I'll keep at it with this fly in the hopes that I will hit the correct presentation and retrieval. Maybe the same can be said for fly rods and fly anglers. Its not the fly rod, its the fly angler. The fly rod shoots line better than the fly angler.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I am convienced that it is not the fly, its like the realty business. Location, Location, Location. You put in the their face and they will hit it. You go to any local trout stream or pond, you alway see people fishing these places that are void of any fish. I have seen people spend hours somewhere that doesnt hold a fish at all it doesn't matter what you throw at them.

+ Reply to Thread