+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Default Nitrogen Tire Inflation

During a recent trip to the tire shop I picked up a flyer touting the benefits of having your tires filled with nitrogen. I am considering doing this when I get my next set of tires in a couple of months. Anybody have any experience with this? Comments both pro and con?

Link: http://www.getnitrogen.org/

Default Re: Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Sounds good. What is the cost vs. the overall benefit. Tires typically wear out from the outside not the inside, unlike Jeff Gordon, I hardly ever get to drive 150 mph with smooth tires. Call me a cynically ole ****, but if you will check the air every week and keep it properly inflated you will save gas and tires. If you are driving in circles at high speeds or landing airplanes, some N2 might be a good investment.
    Want to hear God laugh? Tell him Your plans!!!

I have been giving some thought of having nitrogen put in my tires. My 2007 Ford Ranger has a "low tire pressure sensor" inside each tire that is mounted on the inside of the tire on the rim. It is suppose to let you know, by a signal on your dash, if you have a tire losing pressure. From what I have heard, nitrogen will help your tires to last longer, run cooler and the modecules in nitrogen are larger than those in air and therefore, will not leak out as easily as air. Whether any of this is true or not, I do not know, but, it does make sense. I know that heat will destroy tires and if nitrogen makes them run cooler, it should help.

Hopefully, someone here will know more and respond.

I can get all 4 tires filled with nitrogen for $20.00. They remove the air and install the nitrogen and put a color coded valve stem cap on each wheel to let others know that the tire is filled with nitrogen and not air. I have been told by the business here that if I am somewhere and have a flat and the repair place does not have nitrogen to refill the repaired tire, that when I get back home, they will remove the air that was put in and refill with nitrogen at no cost to me.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

nighthawk Guest

At $184.00 savings per year it's not enough for it to be cost effective for me, considering the extra distance I have to drive to get the stuff.

Air is 78% nitrogen...then when those little Oxygen atoms leak out we put more "Air" into the tire. Seems after I top it off enough times I'm running Nitrogen for free.....

6. Default Re: Nitrogen Tire Inflation

Costco put Nitrogen in the tires for free when you buy a set of tires from them. Both my SUV's have the funny green valve covers now.

Aircraft have been running nitrogen in the tires for years due to the temperature / expansion thingy .......... teh suggestions for use on everyday passenger vehicles is a sound notion - although a little noisy - on the pocket book. Nitrogen isn't commonly available, and the cost of topping tires off with Nitrogen versus checking tire pressure every tank or even 2nd tank with plain old compressed air ...... well, won't take a genius to compute the savings there.

Sure, more evenly maintained tire pressure for slightly improved gas mileage, but the environmental impacts of processing air into Nitrogen outweigh any gas mileage savings.

Just another money grabbing gimmick.

+ Reply to Thread