+ Reply to Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: unusual fly-fishing destinations?

Default Re: unusual fly-fishing destinations?

Bill-

This is a great post to live vicariously... and think about all the money I'm saving by not going....

If money isn't an object....and it sounds like it isn't... then I'd vote for a float trip for Mongolian Taimen or Kamchatka steel head for something really exotic. Seychelles bonefish, Amazon peacocks, NZ, or an Alaska float sound cool too though perhaps not as exotic as your clients are looking for.

Here's one that I think would be a blast, and I hope to do one day (Fishing for Nile Perch in Eygpt). They mostly use conventional tackle, but it looks like it would be a hoot with the right fly gear: http://www.african-angler.co.uk/ I think Larry Dahlberg did a trip awhile ago. They can apparently customize trips too, in addition to their packages.

And there's always a pack trip into the Bob Marshall...

best of luck... can't wait to hear the stories and see the pics!

peregrines

Click on the FEATURES on the left-hand menu, scroll to the bottom, click on World Wide, then - India! There are several articles you won't hardly believe. But remember anywhere the British went they took roses and trout. *S*

The Zambezi river for tigers. Think Stripers with teeth and even more attitude! Never been there myself but saw a show Larry Dahlberg did on it a while back. Looked sweet!!
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

India link:

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/feature ... ide/india/

John Bailey along with Paul Boot shot the famous Casting for Gold film in 1989, on the junction of Byas Ghat, on the Ganges, where Paul caught a 51 lb. fish.
    I believe it, Deanna. I have the Bailey/Boot film recording of Casting for Gold on VHS. I recorded it from PBS when it was televised. Great show. I really liked it so that is why I recorded it. Come to think of it, I think my sister still has the tape . I need to get it back if I can find it .
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

Kamchatka or Sakhalin Island for HUGE wild Rainbows. Almost everything over there is fly-in. You will hardly ever see another soul except your guide and pilot. The Kola Peninsula of Russia has some fabulous remote camp salmon fishing, too.

There is also Peacock Bass and Dorado fishing in the warmer parts of South America like Corrientes Province, Argentina, or the Amazon basin in Brazil.

Hi there,

I am from Cape Town, South Africa and am very proud to see that our small trout streams have been mentioned in your unusual fly-fishing destinations. They are truely wonderful waters but if you are in southern africa there are a few other unique species I would recommend targeting.

The Big Yellowfin Tuna was mentioned and the largest I have heard of being caught on fly is 76kg (about 167lb). If you are keen to have a look at some of these fish landed here off cape point, click over to [url=http://www.twooceanssportfishing.com/extreme-fly-fishing-yellowtail-tuna:f4f37]Two Oceans Sportfishing[/url:f4f37].

As freshwater fishing goes, we have a group of species collectively known as Yellowfish which are very similar to the Mahseer in India, but most species don't grow as large. They are indigenous to Southern africa and have been regularly classed as the freshwater equivalent to bonefish. Very strong and fast for their size. There are 9 species but the most popular species targeted on fly are the Smallmouth and Largemouth yellowfish, both of which inhabit our largest river system - the Orange vaal system which spans from the highlands near Johannesburg all the way to the west coast on the border with Namibia. The Smalmouth Yellowfish is probably the most popular and can reach more than 10lbs. The Largemouth are more difficult to catch but can reach monstrous sizes. Click [url=http://adventureflyfishing.co.za/Largemouth%20Gallery.htm:f4f37]here[/url:f4f37]to see some pictures of the Largemouth Yellowfish and browse around to see some of the other species.

If you are in southern africa you should definately travel up to Botswana or Zambia to target the Tigerfish as mentioned before. Have a look around [url=http://www.sekoma.co.za:f4f37]Sekoma Lodge[/url:f4f37] for a good idea of what is available.

If any of you decide to chose South Africa as a fishing destination you will most definately not be disappointed.

Cheers
    Grant

And from my homeland, I suggest you consider Slovenia, nestled on the sunny side of the Alps between Italy and Austria. Species include Sokca grayling, rainbow, brown, brook and marble trout. I can personally attest to the cuisine as being second to none (samples will be at the Michigan Fish-In). For more information go to : http://www.sloveniaflyfishing.com/

Joe Valencic
    Slovenian Fly Fisher
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Oops!
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

Just my opinion, but exotic is a relative term. Brook trout in a tiny stream you can jump across, covered by pine and hemlock is exotic to people is other parts of the world. If you want something totally different than what everyone else has tried. Go find a sub-terainian cavern in the depths of a forgotten forest and bring night vision and a short rod. You may catch an unidentified species. If you want large, search the oceans for tuna and marlin. If you want mean, head to the tropics. If you want tough, find hard pushing water in the mountains anywhere. Maybe you could focus on catching White and Tiger sharks over 15 ft on a fly. Has that been done? Never heard of it. You could be the first. Otherwise, look closer in your own back yard. You can be suprised at what can be exotic so close to home. Good luck with your new adventure.

Previous poster is correct - exotic means different things to different folks.

Personally, I'd select somewhere fairly unknown for its fishing. Probably somewhere in the Himalayas. Any place with hills and mountains like these has to have interesting coldwater fisheries.

I have no idea what sort of fish live there, but it looks spectacular to me. Check out the site those pics are hosted on for a lot more information.

+ Reply to Thread