+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Question: fishing a pool at the bottom of a plunge.

Default Question: fishing a pool at the bottom of a plunge.

When I try to find where fish would be I think of the "Three C's"

Current, Cover, Cuisine.

I know a fish will want to find a place where they aren't burning calories just fighting the current. They're going to look for a place with cover from predators. And they're going to find a place where the food source is flowing towards them.

However, I just read in a book about fly fishing the high Sierra mountains that a plunge pool is a good spot to fish. To me that seems to violate the "Current" part because the fish would have to fight the very strong pounding current of the falling water.

Therefore:

1) What have your experiences been with fishing a plunge pool? For the sake of argument let's say a plunge pool is the pool below a waterfall around 2 to 6 feet high.

2) If they are good spots to fish then why does that work? Why aren't the fish trying to avoid that current?

3) If it is a good spot to fish, what would you use? I would expect nymphs because the bubbles and foam would obscure a dry fly on the surface. Also, just about anything would be pulled down into the foam anyway.

Thank you for any advice and wisdom you can share on this topic.

Default Re: Question: fishing a pool at the bottom of a plunge.

I have always found the pools below drops to be a good spot to catch fish and quite often large fish. The hydrolics usually carves out a good hole behind the fall and fish are good at finding just the right spot or position that allow them to hold their position with minimal effort. Just last fall I cast a fly under a ledge behind a drop and immediately a huge trout grabbed it and unfortunately broke my line. I had a pretty good hunch that a lunker would be holed up there. Next time I'm on that river I'll give that spot another try this time with a stouter tippet.

Dru,

The current you see at the top of the water isnt the same as the current below the surface. I saw a study once where they tied 6inch strips of cloth to a pole and imbedded it into the stream right in the middle of a strong current. The cloth at the top of the water did as you expected rapidly waving in the strong current, the cloth in the middle of the water level waved easily in the water at 1/2 speed, and the cloth at the bottom actually FLOWED UPSTREAM. This is why a sinking line or tip can be so effective, it gets below the top of the water and sits in the current which is moving far slower, keeping your fly in "the spot" longer.

Also the belief that all fish face upstream is false, this video taken with an underwater camera showed many trout facing downstream but "into the current" because the water actually flowed backwards in the head of pools with a strong current.

Hope this helps!

Blog Entries

Dru, a pool like you described should probably be considered pocket water because of the variety of currents and the way that they break up the pool. You are indeed likely to have areas where the water flows "backwards". Either go deep with wets, nymphs, and streamers or exploit a sweet spot with dries. Be aware that you might only have a 6" drift and you will need to be able to put the fly down precisely and lift it without disturbing the water.

There is a pool like that at the tail-out of a fast run near my home, and I love to fish it. I am always amused when I drop a dry into a area the size of a platter, the "sweet spot" in this pool, and a big bream whacks it.

Ed

My experiencese have been similar to that of others for the previously mentioned reasons. I will add though, that I absolutlely love fishing these areas. Not only for their natural prisitne beauty and sound, but because my experience tells me that the fish will sit in the slower current and wait until they see some poor, helpless nymph or streamer that has been rocked by the turmoil above and nab em. To me this means that I can fish bigger nymphs that weigh a little more and some streamers too even on a small mountain stream in these cases. This I like, because most other mountain streams require matching a dry fly hatch and perfectly drifting a small nymph. To me, it is easier because the fish need to make a split second decision on something movig fast, that they other wise (in slower conditions like a pool) would have the opportunity to investigate more and refuse for whatever reason. I catch far more fish from these types of pockets and plunges than other areas, because the fish cannot be quite so picky. If they are, then the "cuisine" has already zipped past them. So, hit those plunges and definately cast a bigger or more heavily weighted nymph right in the "thick" of the current/rapids caused by that falling water and you WILL catch fish.
    Leave No Trace

Blog Entries

Another point relates to the effect of the water's surface being disturbed. If it is, it means that the fish can't see out of the water very well and that you can approach more closely, especially if you stay out of the water. That will help you get close enough for accurate casts, line mending, and even dapping.

Ed

My wife and I are going out fishing tonight after work. I think I'm going to try a weighted nymph or a wooley bugger with a small split shot on the line and see what happens. Maybe I'll be successful enough to have something to write about in a "Newbie's Journey IV" article.

Thank you for the good advice.

8. Default Re: Question: fishing a pool at the bottom of a plunge.

here's the deal,
    foam, bubbles, and other surface disturbance are the coverage fish like
    next,
    wade pools are the funnel for food
    finally,
    fish have thrive in current and ue less energy at capturing their food

think of a sail boat on the lake
    wth the wind, you go super fast
    against the wind, you tack by using sail and rudder
    no wind, you are stuck being still

next fish you catch, count how many sails, rudders, trim plates they have...or imagine the fins working seperately to optimise the current and add the ever canging shape of the body to adjust for resistence
    Truly, if you snorkled under the fall at a wade pool, you will realize the magnificent creation of our creator and begin to think; is man at the top of the food chain ?

+ Reply to Thread