+ Reply to Thread

Thread: atlantic salmon fly??

Default atlantic salmon fly??

hey guys!
    i tied this fly the other night and was wondering if...........................................
    would you qualify this as a ATLANTIC SALMON FLY ????
    if not what would you label this ??????
    also what do you think of this fly??

chris

Default Re: atlantic salmon fly??

Nice "Freestyle" fly. Little hard to see the details of the fly so it's hard to say how the floss and tinsel work looks. For my tastes the wing is a little large and doesn't flow well with the hook shape, but then that's just me. By chance have you read Ronn Lucas' excellent articles on Atlantic Salmon fly tying here on FAOL. Great series.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

better than my first. i would get some steelhead hooks. some danvile 4 strand floss, some gold and silver french tinsel. about 5 colors of paired goose shoulders(for tying folded wings). amherst and golden pheasant heads(or full skin. i have a full amherst skin, and it is definitly not sore on the eyes ). some colorful hackle(i use guinni). some black ostirich. and that should cover you for a while. here is my seacond newest atlantici got a very bad pic. of it though.) http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214 ... ies052.jpg
    third newest: http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w214 ... ies048.jpg
    and the newest i have yet to post. don't get discouraged though. go to http://www.flytyingforum.com/index.php? ... d3&act=idx go to the atlantic part, and you will get tons of help there.

Chris,
    My thoughts are your choice of hook seems to be a too long of a shank, which causes your wing to be long also. Your choice of wing material is fine if it was matched with something else that would contrast the white color (jungle cock?)
    Research wing materials and see what you can find. (tail materials also)
    Design your fly before you tie it and color coordinate your materials.
    You did a OK job of tying your fly!
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Hi there,

You are well on your way, featherwings are fun to tie and you can get really creative. Definitely check out the section by Ronn Lucas and other Atlantic Salmon patterns on the web.

You might want to lighten up on the wire, use it as a rib over floss and/or as a tag, also if you have some black squirrel tail (or any type of Squirrel tail) you can get into hairwing salmon flies (but shorten up the shank of the hook). I would use a hook like that for spring streamer salmon flies, they are larger and use bucktail for the wings and you can use a few strands of many colors to change the look of them.

Keep tying, it only gets better from here, I started when I was 13 and have been at it ever since.

Dwight

thanx for the opinion guys! i am not INTO tying these types of flies more i am INTO tying trout flies
    i just love tying trout stuff dries streamers nymphs wets etc. and i will continue to do so

chris

I think I would consider this more of a streamer than an atlantic salmon fly, even a freestyle one. Shank length vs gape is what I am using to judge it. You may not be tying them now but ......................you will! LOL
    Happy Trails!
    Ronn

http://ronnlucassr.com/

i will later when i purchase all the materials and buy the right hooks!
    then i will be going for some mean freestyles lol

Quote Originally Posted by Ronn Lucas
    I think I would consider this more of a streamer than an atlantic salmon fly, even a freestyle one. Shank length vs gape is what I am using to judge it
    thats what i was looking for !thank-you

i would practice on laying the floss very flat and making it shiny, practice wrapping a gold tinsel around the hook shank so that there are no spots. just do what ron says, if it is not perfect, re-do it.

Chris,
    Don't throw away any of your experiments.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

+ Reply to Thread