+ Reply to Thread

Thread: fish/depthfinders on your float tube or pontoon?

Default fish/depthfinders on your float tube or pontoon?

was wondering if anyone used a fish/depthfinder on their float tube or pontoon boat? fish some bigger waters sometimes where i think this would be useful. if you do use one, any recommendations on specific units?

Default Re: fish/depthfinders on your float tube or pontoon?

I purchased a Bottom-Line Tournament 1101 ....on a heads up from someone here...Cabela's on sale for $40....unfortunately I don't think they are available anymore....if you do a search you may find that thread....there was a lot of discussion re: models....

The reason I'm answering now is that I'm pleased with the mounting system I came up with.
    After gathering info from folks here and discussion with Robert [gotta get back to him on this]....this is what I do...

A luggage strap with a quick snap from the Dollar store ...guess what that cost ....some Velcro salvaged from a worn out golf glove...using goop I velcroed the transducer and gooped the other velcro to the appropriate place on strap...

Now I just wrap the strap around one tube on the float tube or on the pontoon.....attach the transducer so it rides straight down....this system seems to work well and is portable...easily changed from tube to toon.

Others will have ideas.....

Sounds like Phil's idea might be a winner. Here is how I have my pontoon sonar rigged up. I got a plastic buckled strap that I have wrapped around my cargo deck and cargo deck bar. On the strap I have a PVC sleeve (coupling) with slots cut in it I use as holster for my Model 1101 "Fishin' Buddy" sonar unit (different from Phil's sonar unit that is not a fixed transducer unit). When I get out on the water I just slide the self-contained sonar unit with its fixed rod transducer down into the holster. I just take it out when I get through on the water for the day. Best of luck.
    Robert B. McCorquodale

"Flip a fly"

I used the Fishing Buddy II on the ODC 816 pontoon I sold to Ohiotuber, and will be using it on my newly acquired canoe. Four C-cell batteries run for a couple of days before needing changing. The Cabelas catalog shows at least one adapter that goes around the pontoon for connecting the Fishing Buddy series of depth finders. I used this unit for years on my trips to Canada, because it was portable enough to pack for car travel and for fly-ins as well. It's easily adaptable to many types of small craft.

Joe
    Joe Valencic
    Life Member FFF
    Rod Builder in Chains

i dont have one on my toon' but i know many people do!

chris

I have a Humminbird Smart Cast RF30 with the wrist watch display. I think it's cool but to be honest; when float tubing in my parts; I really don't use it much since I'm almost exclusively fishing for bass in the shallows.

I use the Humminbird wristwatch finder with the sonar bouy you drag on a line on my float tube. It works, at least for finding depth and structure. But when the waves get over about 6-8 inches, it loses contact with the wristwatch frequently.
    I'll be getting a Fishin' Buddy soon after reading all the different reviews and comments about it here on the board. But I'm going to wait until I get my new kayak first and install it on that!
    DANBOB

+ Reply to Thread