Thread: A Rod for Spider & Wet Fly Fishing

Default A Rod for Spider & Wet Fly Fishing

I have just been reading this by Mike Connor -
    http://www.sexyloops.co.uk/cgi-bin/theb ... f=5;t=5887
    Donald Nicolson (Scotland)

http://donaldnicolson.webplus.net/

Default Re: A Rod for Spider & Wet Fly Fishing

Donald,

I've been reading the same thread by Mike. I'm surprised he hasn't considered braiding his own horsehair lines for fishing spiders with a loop rod.

Now, how much is a match rod in US$?

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

He probably thought about it, but it looks like modern dacron line may be the perfect substitute.
    It looks like old Webster's Loop rod could be having a revival.
    Here are my calculations for the match rod he recommended, it is quite a reasonably priced rod, they can go up to about $600.00.
    ?42.99
    = $80.8771

Mitchell 400X 423 Match 14ft Rod (3 piece) (Code 1110711).
    Constructed from high quality radial carbon. The length gives increased control on river and still waters.
    Features:
    - Long legs ultra light SIC guides throughout.
    - Shaped forearm cork handle with hyperlon butt grip.
    - Screw lock reel seat.
    - Blank construction made from H.M graphite.
    - 3 sections

To calculate the price without VAT:
    Divide by 1.175 (e.g. ?39.95 divided by 1.175 = ?34.00 the VAT being ?5.95).
    That means ?36.59 or $68.8368.

It may not be necessary to re-ring the rod, modern dacron line has a small diameter, and from what he says
    casting wil be a la Webster. The line will not be running through the rings during the cast.
    All very interesting for Spider fanatics, but it may be further than I'm willing to go.
    I hope somebody tries it, I would be interested.
    I suppose if the rod was re-ringed with fly rings, a light fly line 1, 2, or 3, could be used.

Donald,

Not sure of the action of the match rod, but I do have a very soft action 12'6" two handed rod in 6 wgt that might do the trick. The problem may arise when fishing our states fly fishing only waters. Regs say there has to be 30 feet of fly line used. I guess I could fish some other water though.

REE
    Happiness is wading boots that never have a chance to dry out.

Thanks for that Donald it is an interesting post ! I was taking my time reading through some of the points and info over the past couple of days and was going to add a few points myself but the thread seems to have got a bit nasty as Mr Connor does not like some OAP questioning his points and has taken to abusive posting and trait he has also followed on a well known UK forum. I think they all need to chill out and go fishing.

Do you guys know if those match rods are like those long crappie outfits they use here in the US?

Those really long light spinning rods?
    Your hooks sharp????

Nick,
    I don't know what the crappie rods are like, but the match rods are used with floats often,
    they are coarse fishing rods for competition fishing, particularly used in England.
    I have not done any coarse fishing myself so I can't give you more than that.

That is very strange DrRob, you must be looking at a different string.
    No animosity on the one I posted.

I think it was around page 8 or 9 than MC had his rant
    Some guy challenged MC's statements about rod lengths and instead of answering the guys valid points he just went off on one
    That's about the point i turned my back on the post.

I had not read the string far enough, I have now -
    This is the first line of the post in question --
    "Mike your post is total utter Rubbish!
    I am 70 years old and have fished traditional spiders all my life, my first fishing trips were in the forties with silk lines latter replaced by the supposedly better PVC lines; both these line materials are more than suitable for this style of fishing.
    Your statement that even a 10ft rod was unsuitable is also blatantly incorrect I have never used a rod longer than 9?ft for my spider fishing indeed I have in my possession 9? cane rod which belonged to Hartfield Edmonds co-author of ?Brook and River Trouting? this was given to me by my father who fished with both Edmonds & Norman Lee for many years on our club waters at Burnsall, I also have many photographs of some of the old timers fishing the Wharfe with spiders and I must say not one rod appears to be over 10ft. My only remembrance of people using rods longer than 10ft was when fishing the creeper.
    The key to successful fishing of the upstream spiders is not enormous rod lengths which you allude to, but careful wading coupled with frequent short casts, you can quite happily catch scores of trout using upstream spiders with a 9ft rod and casting no more than 2 rod lengths including the leader (There is simply no need for the long rods and casts you speak of!)
    It is patently obvious from your post that you have not grasped the true concept of fishing with spiders and seek to over complicate what is an enjoyable and rewarding form of fishing. Only last year our club was privileged to host Oliver Edwards filming his latest DVD on fishing upstream spiders maybe you would be better watching it to see how it is really done."

That hardly seems a polite start.

This reminds me of a disagreement I had with you a couple of years ago over the Flymph.
    At the time I did not necessarily disagree with your opinions, but I did not like the manner in which
    you expressed them. I may be wrong, but the 'guy' you refer to in Mike's string would not be yourself would it?
    After reading the string it seems to me that Mike did his best to be polite but when his patience finally
    cracked he was as rude as you deserved.
    Being 70 years old is no excuse for bad behaviour, you have not improved in two years.
    You are still an arrogant and self-opinionated individual.
    I myself am 72, and I have only twice had to give a reply like this, both times to yourself.

+ Reply to Thread