+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Backing weight

Default Backing weight

I am in the process of picking up a 9' 9 wt. 4 piece or 2 piece rod to use while fishing for stripers and salmon.

Question #1 - I do travel and would prefer a 4 piece rod but would a 2 piece be stronger for these two species?

Question #2 - In backing the line what pound test backing and what material (dacron / gel-spun, etc.) should I purchase?

I see that I can place 275 yards of 35 lb. backing but as I look at the different leader set ups I am wondering if I should go with a 45 lb. backing or even 50.

Since this thing will happen in another week or so I would need some help. I have toyed with saltwater fly fishing but decided to take it serious for a change and want to get it right the first time.

Thanks,
    Coach

Default Re: Backing weight

IMHO

First I would get a 4 piece rod (in fact thats what I have gotten for myself). They are plenty strong and with new construction techniques I do not see that as an issue. I don't think the average person can tell the difference in casting a 2 or 4 piece rod.

For Stripers or Salmon, 275 yds of backing should be sufficient. Therefore I would not use a Gel-spun. The advantage to Gel-spun is that it takes up less space allowing you to carry more backing (not your issue). The disadvantage is it is more likely to cut your hands when playing a fish as it has a much smaller diameter. Gel Spun is also more expensive.

With Stripers and Salmon you will not be using a leader that is more than 20 lb. test. A 35 lb. backing should be more than secure. I don't know why you would want to go to a heavier backing. Besides getting a 35 lb backing is as easy as walking into a fishing store. 45 0r 50 lb backing may take a special order.

Hope this helps and good luck.

jed

Just curious, what kind of reel are you referring to? That is a fairly high capacity reel, especially if it is a large arbor (which I would recommend). 275 yds of 35# is probably already referring to gelspun. Most dacron is either 20# or 30#. 35# gelspun is about the same diameter (or perhaps a little less) than is 20# dacron.

275 yds should be plenty for almost any fish short of billfish or perhaps tuna.

Four piece rods are all I buy now. They are so much easier to travel with.

As far as leaders go, I try and make sure I have a segment that is max 20# test. I want my leader to break, not my flyline or backing. This is especially true if you get hung up on something (like a rock or sunken stump).

Regards,
    Keith

I use 30 lb leaders and 30 lb power pro as backing for stripers. Haven't lost a fly line to a blazing fish yet. Rarely have stripers take me into my backing. But have had fish slice fly lines up on pilings, reefs, and mussel beds.

No experience with salmon, so I can't help you there.
    Your hooks sharp????

Coach......
    Answer to question # 1: I would definitely get the 4 piece rod. You might not be doing a lot of traveling now but who knows, and a 4 piece rod will save you a lot of grief if you travel.

Answer to question # 2: If you can get 275 yards of dacron on the reel, I see no need to go to gel-spun and risk getting cut. I would suggest though that you purchase Cortland 30 # SALTWATER Micron. It has a teflon coating which makes it more abrasion resistant and slicker through the guides and water. It is almost impervious to the elements and last almost forever. With 30 # your backing is as strong as your fly line and you won?t have the worry of losing a fly line to a weaker backing. When the line parts, it should part at the leader class leader.

Hope this helps....
    DickM.
    FFF Life Member #22

As many others have said, go for the 4-piece. Rods these days are built well (by most) and I've totally gone to the 4-piece options for ease of travel.

Now as for the backing question. Personally I'd go with the 50lb Spectra as backing. I do fish Stripers, Salmon, Steelhead and many other finny creatures and here's why I lean toward the Spectra.

1 - Greater backing capacity so I can downsize my reel if I like or upsize my break strength on the backing.

2 - I prefer to go heavier than lighter. Hook into a 40lb Salmon that shoots across the river and around a rock or blowdown emptying your reel through the obstruction as you struggle to cross the river to clear it and tell me you wouldn't rather have the 50lb than the 30 or 35lb backing. Or that Striper slides off the flat into a strong rip and your line is running on the edge of the channel. Stronger backing reduces issues. Fish those species enough and you'll have a time or two where you will be happy you went heavier.

3 - You hook a nice Striper in a rip and it takes some line and you develop a big belly in the line with all the resistance which also occurs when a salmon heads up or down river. This resistance can break tippets. Thinner backing helps a bit to reduce this and it tends to slice through vegitation rather than gather it up as well.

4 - Ever fish a spot with anglers a bit less curtious than they should be? We all have. Ever had that guy who just refuses to clear his line and you try and pass by with your fish and he hangs up with you? I have. Guess who wins when my 50lb backing touches his leader or fly line : ) . It's often an expensive lesson for them. I even had a Yellowfin Tuna on that got around a guys anchor rope. Rules in that area is that if an angler fighting a fish approaches your boat, you hook a buoy to your anchor line and toss it over, drifting clear so the other angler can get by with his fish and you then move back to your spot. Well this guy didn't and my 65lb Spectra sawed right through his anchor rope - : )

As for the line possibly cutting your fingers, everyone always says this. I've been using Spectra as backing for years and yes, I have cut myself a couple of times but I've also burned fingers and cut myself with Dacron backing too. Be careful and mindful of things and you will not have a problem.

Just one mans opinion. . .

Appreciate all the advise and I have a pretty good idea of what I want to do. Thanks again and I figure this fly fishing in salt might just become addicting!

many opinions!
    mine would be

4 piece rod

and 20 lb backing for less resistance with a fish blazing all of your backing through the water!

+ Reply to Thread