+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Dai Riki Hooks

Default Dai Riki Hooks

Any complaints about them? I need to pull some supplies together, and these things seem to be the cheapest out there. I'm well aware that cheaper rarely means better, but also doesn't necessarily mean worse. Would that be the case here?

Default Re: Dai Riki Hooks

GB:

While I don't use them; I know quite a few folks including a professional tyer who swear by them.

I try REAL hard to keep my hook inventory down to a few styles and manufacturers and I started with Daiichi & Tiemco so I stuck with them which is the ONLY reason I don't use Dai Riki.

I also heard a story which may be just that, a story; that Dai Riki and Daiichi are made in the same factory in Japan.

Well, I am cheaper than cheap and for my own tying I use Mustad and purchase them by the 100's. I have used and still have some Dai Riki hooks and find no problem with them, but, the price of 50 Dai Riki is pretty close to the price of 100 Mustad. I think the Mustad hooks hold their sharp points better than the Dai Riki, but, that is my own opinion only.

I really like the Mustad hooks and will continue to purchase them for my use. You purchase and use whatever works for you.

Now let's go fishing!!
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

For the price I find Mustad hard to beat. Also I have no complaints about their quality.

Tim

Have you checked The Fly Shop (Redding, CA)? They have their own brand and I hear from some of my tying friends they are very good for nearly 1/2 the price.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

Fatman Guest

Got a bunch on ebay last year at a really cheap price and have not had any problems with them except I wish they were a darker bronze color.

Fatman

I spoke to soon. Panman pointed out to me that Hook and Hackle, a sponsor, has Mustad 100 paks that are less expensive than The Fly Shop brand for the most part.
    Trout don't speak Latin.

GBurgFisher:

I like Dai Riki hooks, especially because of their price. They are sharper than Mustads, without their brittleness, more consistent eyes, and their barbs are smaller and easier to smash down. They do not have the same fit and finish as the Tiemco's, but they are much more affordable and Dai Riki makes certain styles that are not available from Tiemco. Biggest downside is they do not appear to make any barbless styles.

Thanks all for the assistance. I also typically buy Mustad, but recently found myself needing a specific amount (more than 25, but not nearly 100) of hooks in sizes that I don't need for my home waters. I've been attracted to the deals I've seen on the Riki's. Also the next time I need these hook sizes/types, I will not need them all at once and will just get the 100 packs at a financially responsible pace. Thanks again for the 2c's.

Also, as an aside... I think I stumbled onto that CA shops page one time. They were selling 50 packs of hooks for something like 3 bucks...man do I ever wish I bookmarked it. I think at the time it seemed too good to be true.

Blog Entries

A few months ago I did a quick test of hooks, I took 5 size 14 dry hooks from Dai riki Daiichi and Mustad, Using a micrometer I wanted to find out which was "best", what I came up with is Dai riki's are a little thiner and a little more consistant than Mustad. (you get what you pay for in consistancy) I didnt find that the Daiichi was enough better to make up for there higher prices. My local fly shop caries Dai Riki and Daiichi,so I primarily tie with Dai Riki, if they carried Mustad I would probably use them as I don't need the extra consistancy for my tying/fishing abilities.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

+ Reply to Thread