+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Recent rod buying experience

Default Recent rod buying experience

I recently decided to purchase a 5 weight rod as my others are 3,4,6 and 8. The 5 weight being probably the most versitile rod weight for many fishing situations is one that I wanted to spend a little more time selecting. I am firm believer that each one of us can find a moderately priced rod that makes us cast like we were throwing a $600-$700 rod, especially with the material technology being used today and the availability of some pretty nice imported rods that seem to perform like higher dolar rods. I am still not comfortable 100% with the idea of these cheaper imported rods as they will eventually drive U.S. rod makers out of business or force them to cut their labor force in favor of importing all of their products. However, I was hoping to find one for about $200. I now live pretty close to what I have been told is the largest fly fishing shop in the country. I made two trips and cast about 7 different rods and a few more at a smaller fly shop. I found rods made in this price range, but the actions were not quite right for me. I decided to raise the budget to $300. One rod I was thrilled with was the Orvis Clearwater in a tip flex. I also casted the TLS powermatrix from orvis in the same tip flex. The Clearwater is imported and this made me a lttle disapointed because I liked it better than its U.S. made cousin, the TLS (the dealer told me he thought that the warantee on the imported Orvis Line was actually better than the U.S.made TLS powermatrix. I found that there were rods from around $135 that made me cast like it was a custom fit piece of hardware (cortland, TFO), but I really wanted a moderately priced rod made here in the U.S.. I narrowed my choices to Orvis TLS and Sage FLi (both 4 piece 9 foot 5wt). The Orvis rod was priced at $325 and the Sage was $285. In my research into Orvis I came accross the 25% off rod swap deal so I dug out a Pfleuger fiberglass rod I got at a garage sale (just for the attached reel) and headed back to the fly shop to cast the two final contenders and come home with my new 5 wt rod. The Orvis was going to now cost me less than the Sage (now $244 with the discount). I looked closely at both rod's finish and quality and cast them both several times each. In the end I chose the Sage FLi. For several reasons, the Sage was a better rod for me, but I really feel like the rod is actually a better rod than the TLS from Orvis. For one, the warrantee on the orvis is for 25 years (not real sure as the dealer told me something different) and the Sage is for life. The Appearance of the Sage rod is overall better as well with a more robust looking reel seat and to my knowledge Sage has not yet begun to import rods to keep up with the current trends. I hope it stays that way.

I think that you just wrote the primer for choosing a new rod. Glad you went with the Sage. When I cast my SLT I can feel what a good and substantial tool it is. Nice post. Thanks.

Swoosh, Sounds like you got what you wanted. I have to say I did my research the same way as you. I wanted a 3 weight and a 5 weight. I purchased the Trident TLS Orvis rod in the Tip Flex 9.5 and I went with the import TFO 3 weight 8'6" rod. My reasons are as follows. The Orvis felt great and was being blown out for the new T3 models coming in the fly shop so I purchased it for $200. It was priced at $325. For the $200 I couldn't find anything that felt as good for the money. About the import vrs American made deal. I figure with the TFO rod that since it has a great warranty and these American rod makers charge extreem amounts for a rod I would at least cast it and try it out. Well, I'm glad I did try it out. I cast alot of rods, including the Sage Launch, Winston WT, St Croix, Cortland CL and many more. I cast rods from $100 to $600 and Of all the rods I tried in the 3 weight it came down to the Sage and the TFO. I know the Sage is built in America but the TFO had so much to offer for about $40 less than the Sage and I really loved the way it cast. I will say that I believe the American companies are in trouble if they don't start making rods at a more resonable price. They are getting better with companies like Sage but to say that the Carbon is different from one country to another is not really a big deal. I mean look at what Toyota and Honda have done. Their is no reason why a great rod should cost more than $500. With the technology and higher quality of blanks at a lower cost it makes sense that these "High Dollar" rod companies are now getting blanks and materials for the lower lines in there models of rods from places like Korea. Fact is that now you can get a $200 rod that is as good as a $500 rod from 2 or so years ago. Thanks to companies like TFO. Fly Fishing shouldn't be a sport for only the rich.

I got a great rod for my money in the TFO. I even had enough money left to buy my father a TFO rod for fathers day to give him his first Fly Rod. He has been outside practicing every day with his casting

swoosh...you need a 7 wt now...

+ Reply to Thread