+ Reply to Thread

Thread: cleaning your line

Default cleaning your line

Just got some new line and heard it was crucial to clean it and dress it after every use... never knew that I'm on a budget and I think I've waisted more money on flies (which are now in the trees of the local streams) than I have on the line... I guess that's what happens when you're learning. So... back on task, what's the best homemade solution to clean fly line? Soap and water, rubbing alcohol, etc. Thanks in advance

Tater Salad,

It is very important(ell at least to me)to take good care of your Line.But before you decide to Dress your Line make sure the Line Coating allows Conditioner to be applied to the Line or it ill ruin the Line.Scientific Anglers and Cortland make Lines that only need to be washed with a Mild Soap and water.I like Lines what don't have a "Special Coating" because it allows me to clean and apply Line Conditioner to the Line that makes it Float and Shoot better than unconditioned Line.I use Scientific Anglers Dressing and Cleaning Pads and feel in my "Opinion" it's that best Dressing out on the Market.It can be applied to the Line Wet or Dry so that makes it even better.What I do is Wash the Line,Run the Pad(It restores the Line's Surface back to the Orignal Texture it is when it comes out the Box,and then apply the Dressing.I've read about Glide and want to see who good that works.

I also forgot to mention it expands the Life of the Line.

Just for interest, I never bothered too much with cleaning my lines unless they were really grotty.

Recently I was fishing with a guy and we found we both had a couple of the same rod, line and reel setups. He was a devoted line cleaner, so at his insistence we experimented with two identical rigs, cleaned one line (a commercial, line cleaner used) and not the other, and cast both.

The difference was amazing, and I am now a converted line cleaner also.
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

It's also a really good idea to check the guides and the rod to be sure they are clean. Your right though it is amazing to see the difference. Tater, if you can't get 5 years out of your flyline your not trying.

For the record, I clean my fly line (floating lines) and add dressing about once or twice a year. I wash with room temperature water with a drop or two of mild soap, usually dish soap. I let it dry and apply a coat of Glide, allow it to dry overnight and then wipe with a clean cloth as I put it back on the reel. I find that my line is not that dirty after each use so cleaning every time I fish seemed not to be necessary. However, if you fish waters with more dirt, oil etc in the surface film, cleaning more frequently is probably a good idea. It sure does make a difference in the performance of the line.

Dr Bob
    Bob Widmaier

My biggest fear when I die is that my wife will sell my fly fishing gear for what I told her I paid for it!

+ Reply to Thread