+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Red Cedar: Bug Deterrent?

Default Red Cedar: Bug Deterrent?

I have read on one of the many online fly fishing forums I frequent that placing red cedar chips in the tying materials container(s) is a good alternative to mothballs as a bug deterrent. I located some red cedar chips yesterday, but they only come in huge 30 lb bags. So before making a purchase of something I will most likely never find the end of, has anyone tried this method, and does it actually hold water??

And what do you guys use as wing/tail material on your Catskill style Hendricksons/Red Quills?

Default Re: Red Cedar: Bug Deterrent?

You can find small blocks of aromatic cedar in the closet section of some stores. I have seen them at Lowe's. It is probably a mild deterrent. Not as effective as moth crystals but non toxic and smells better.

What happened to the reply I just posted ???????

Blog Entries

Eastern Redcedar, actually a juniper (Juniperus virginiana) contains an essential oil (polyterpenoid) known as juniperine that is somewhat toxic to some insects and annoying to most.
    I don't know what fish think about it.

I would look for brightly colored heartwood as an indicator of higher levels of juniperine, but that might not be a hard and fast rule.

Ed

I was fortunate enough to have a behind the scenes tour of the Field Museum in Chicago. When we got to the Zoology department the guide should us row upon row of bird and animal skins in drawers, some of them stored for over 100 years. I asked the curator what they used to prevent bug infestation. Answer- moth crystals.

Quote Originally Posted by Jayatwork
    You can find small blocks of aromatic cedar in the closet section of some stores. I have seen them at Lowe's. It is probably a mild deterrent. Not as effective as moth crystals but non toxic and smells better.

Awww, com'on! I wanted to see Ahab try to stuff all that cedar into his fly tying boxes!! I get the cedar blocks from Target (or KMart, what ever!) and they work great! Fish haven't seemed to mind. And no bugs! And it smells pretty good too.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Have you considered getting a small cedar chest?
    I would imagine they come in all sorts of sizes and fancy shapes.

Do you have to sand the cedar from time to time, to freshen it?

I've been using "moth chaser" from Bristol Springs Herbery; but I can't get a response from them.
    "You must not be too greedy in catching your said game (fish), as in taking too much at one time...That could easily be the occasion of destroying your own sport and other men's also." Juliana Berners (1450)

If you like to gamble then use the ceder. The best protection comes from products that contain paradichlorobenzene. These products kill bugs and their eggs. I have too much money in fur and feathers to chance a bug invasion. In over 40 years of collecting fur and feathers, I have never had a bug problem.

fishbum

For 15 years I've used wooden Cedar balls I purchase from local hardware stores. My feathers are fine and I catch fish so I'm happy. Mothballs work for sure, but they also stink-up everything in my apartment.

+ Reply to Thread