+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Best Leader to Line connection type?

Default Best Leader to Line connection type?

Fished with my new Fly Logic 8' 4 wt. Love it. But occasionally the loop to loop and my tapered leader got together and I spent mucho time trying to untangle. Happened two or three times, I know, I could become a better caster...but what about that connection. What would be so wrong about the little metal eyelet you can shove into the fly line and then connect leaders to? I used that as a kid and never ever lost one or had one come out and I could make it float with the line.....sooooooo....what is a good connection style?

Jim

There is no "Best" in life, only things that are best for our individual selves and situations.
    I really like the S.A. L2L connectors. Try different things and see what works best for you.

I've been using the Orvis braided loops for the last three years. No problems with the connection or my casting (such as it is!).

Regards

Quick and simple a Nail Knot. More complicated but smoother, a Needle Knot. Just had a friend lose a nice fish and leader when a new braided loop pulled off.

Al

5. Default

The loops that RIO welds onto their line are great. There is NO way they are coming off as they are part of the line. Also they float very high. Downside is obviously they only come on RIO lines.

------------------
    "GET THE DRIFT?"

I'll second the nail knot. I've never had one come lose, the line floats better and there's no "hinging effect".
    My one wish is that when I die my wife doesn't sell my fishing stuff for what I told her I paid for it...

I like the Needle Nail Knot. Scott

try whitlock's knotless connection. you can find directions for it online, and dave whitlock himself claims he has never lost a fish on it, including some really big game.

For a completely seamless connection, does anyone use Dave W's zap-a-gap connection?
    Page 6 of the following pdf: [url=http://www.ucctu.org/Images/Newsletters/NewsletterJan05.pdf:47e8f]http://www.ucctu.org/Images/Newsletters/NewsletterJan05.pdf[/url:47e8f]

I've used loops with furled leaders for a couple of years but I think some of the turn over benefits of furled leaders is lost with a loop to loop connection.

I use braided loops from Cortland. I can say that I don't have alot of experience in flyfishing. Although, I landed a 29.5 inch/9lb lake-run rainbow on a 5wt. rod/line this last spring(also on my own fly design). The loop held just fine and until I get deeper into this sport than I already am, I will continue to use them.
    Good luck w/ whatever you choose.

------------------
    Land Em',
    Carp

+ Reply to Thread