+ Reply to Thread

Thread: A Wooley Bugger for Stripers/White Bass?

913 Jackson Lake Rd, Chatsworth, Ga. 30705 (423) 438-1060

Default A Wooley Bugger for Stripers/White Bass?

Since I've gotten into a swap for Wooley Buggers, and done some research on them, I think I'm becomming a bit obsessed. There has to be some kind of pattern or way of tying these things that doesn't work! I haven't found it yet. Even weird color combinations work like flourescent orange and purple! Walleyes love 'em.

Last night, I tried combining two of the most succesful patterns I am aware of, just to see if it would work. I combined the best (in my opinion) features of the Clouser Minnow with the best features (Wooley Buggers have no bad features) of Wooley Buggers, and the best colors for stripers (freshwater) and white bass. I tied them on a #4 streamer hook. A #2 would probably work as well, but you might need to tie in another hackle half-way down the body unless you have some really long neck hackle feathers, to make it reach the front.

I took 5 of them out this morning behind the dam, and caught 2 stripers and 3 hybrid/white bass, all over 5 lbs each, in 45 minute. This fly's action in the fast tail-race water is incredible, and the weight really stabilizes it in the current. I put 1 drop of Shad Smelly Jelly on the head, and casted it upstream towards the gates and let it drift with the current, twitching it and short stripping alternatly to imitate a baitfish (shad) caught in the main current, or drawn through the gates. I used my 9' 8wt rod, and reel with disc-drag. Casting was no problem with the WF-8F line. I used a 7' 1X tapered leader with a 1X tippet.

Striper Clouser-Bugger

Someone has probably done this already, but it works.

Hook: Cabelas Model 40 size 4.
    Thread: Danville 3/0 Monocord, White
    Weight: Wire wrap on the body and weighed dumbell eyes, painted white & black. Eyes on top of the shank.
    Tail: White Enrico Sea Fibers (Krystal Flash or Angel Hair would probably work just as good).
    Body: White Medium Chenille
    Hackle: White Chinese Hen Neck.
    Collar: Red Barred Whiting Saddle Hackle-short feather.
    Ribbing: small gold wire.

Next swap, I think I'll tie some of these up for others to try.

Semper Fly!

Default Re: A Wooley Bugger for Stripers/White Bass?

Gigmaster,
    I like the contrast with red and white. If the water isn't cloudy try using marabou with a few strands of Sea Fibers. The tail will have better action. I've found it only takes a few fibers of Krystal Flash because of it's great reflective qualities.
    This is also a fly that you can change color combinations.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Normand Guest

nice fly

loosely translated can be a "seaducer" variation"

http://www.flyanglersonline.com/flytyin ... 7fotw.html

Quote Originally Posted by Normand
    nice fly

A Seaducer is a completely different fly. It has no wieighted body, no weighted eyes, no body material other than hackle, and is all feathers. It also moves different in the water. It slides gently, snake-like, whereas the Bugger has a pronounced jigging motion. A Seaducer would be useless in the heavy current below tail-races.

Semper Fly!

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Gigmaster,
    I like the contrast with red and white. If the water isn't cloudy try using marabou with a few strands of Sea Fibers. The tail will have better action. I've found it only takes a few fibers of Krystal Flash because of it's great reflective qualities.
    This is also a fly that you can change color combinations.
    Doug
    I wanted to use marabou but I used up all my white tying Crappie-Buggers the other day.

Semper Fly

Normand Guest

Quote Originally Posted by Gigmaster
    Quote Originally Posted by Normand
    nice fly

A Seaducer is a completely different fly. It has no wieighted body, no weighted eyes, no body material other than hackle, and is all feathers. It also moves different in the water. It slides gently, snake-like, whereas the Bugger has a pronounced jigging motion. A Seaducer would be useless in the heavy current below tail-races.

Semper Fly!

I know the differences thats why i said "variation"

+ Reply to Thread