+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Not your typical day at Wilson...

Default Not your typical day at Wilson...

Never saw this guy before.....

But then.....

And a good time was had by......me!

Jim

Default Re: Not your typical day at Wilson...

Jim,
    I'm glad to see you caught some fish! Did they all bite the same kind of fly??
    Is your trolling motor mounted on the side of your pram??
    Thanks,
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Can missing feathers account for those fish?

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Check your open season on peacock before you begin trying to borrow any feathers from your strange visitor. 8T

Guys,,,,,, I have no idea, nor did anyone else there, where that peacock came from. When I first encountered it, it was perched on someone's boat trailer. I did a double-take, cleaned my glasses and pinched myself just to make sure. Glad I remembered the camera.

duck and 8.....yeh, I thought about it....lifetime supply of herl and sword and stuff, but I would have probably lost the tussle for control.

shock.....that's right, it's up front on the driver's side. I built a box for the battery in its usual place in the back, ran #8 wire up the gunwhales and installed insulated posts for the alligator clips from the motor. You just have to reverse the direction of the prop and, voila, you're in the driver's seat. Much better control, balance and you're not casting over the bow from the stern as happens from time to time.

And, yes, a popper caught 90% of the fish, plus many more (31 all together in 4 hours) with the exception of the crappie and some other bluegill. It slowed a little so I tied on a #8 wooly bugger I tied with peacock (no pun intended) chenille and it produced well, also.

However, I get a kids' delight out of poppers and other topwater.....love to see 'em come up and smash it......

Regards, Jim

Blog Entries

that looks like a nice day! Nothing like panfish blitzing on the fly.

Hopefully old peafowl will shed a few feathers in the parking lot come that time of year.

RRhyne56
    http://www.robinscustomleadersandflies.com
    http://robinsrumination.blogspot.com

Jim,
    I just wanted to WARN you NOT to take that peacock home because they make a terrible racket!
    Your neighbors would be upset, mad and you wouldn't be able to borrow anything from them anymore.
    Doug
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

what type of boat do you have? how long? looks like a nice boat for one or two guys. not to big, small enough to get into the shallows

Is that a Bluegill in the first fish pic or a Redear? Looks like a male redear to me. Pics of a typical Redear can be seen at http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/huntwild/wi ... s/sunfish/

Looks like a lot of fun!

Thwack: it looks like your Redear, but we call 'em Pumpkinseeds here. Probably an eastern thing. When I was a kid, we called Crappie, Calico Bass. Whatever their given name, they're fighters and fun.....

WWFF: it's a Lowe 'Lil Jon, 12X36. Seats two and goes anywhere. It's a flat bottom so shallow water is no problem.

I'll keep checking the lot for anything usable, Robin; and, DShock, I have a neighbor that would drown out ole' Peacock on a good day.

I just remembered the best part of the day; I ran into another fly angler who was also catching his hiney off. We pulled along side each other and chatted for about a half hour. He was using a pontoon boat and having a ball. It was his first time on this lake and naturally I shared my experience with him. We only saw about 2-3 fish caught by the 8 or so metal throwers the whole time we were there.

One thing I've found out about fly; you do more catching than fishing!!!!!

Jim

+ Reply to Thread