+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Spinning Block

Default Spinning Block

Re: the article on this spinning block this week....

You might consider going to a thrift store and finding a cutting board....you can find some nice ones on the cheap. I did some time ago thinking I would make one......but then I came upon Jim Smith

RonS81 Guest

Default Re: Spinning Block

The summer 2007 issue of Fly Tyer has instructions how to make a turbo dubbing twister. I bought mine from Simon Fly- Fishing but the one in Fly Tyer looks pretty good.

That would be ...Jim Smith ....in the FlyTyer

can one obtain these instructions elsewhere or can you only find them in the mag?

I'm pretty sure it is only in the mag.

Pretty nice of Jim to share.....

Having said that...[and even being one who likes to "make" things]....Jim's price is so reasonable that to get something of this quality is worth the price and hassle avoidance ....

You are talking wood, finishing, wood working, parts.....just collecting the parts would be a pain......

Again having said that my Flytyer just caught up with me today and I haven't read the article but I doubt I'd change my mind.......

I bought one from Jim. Very happy with it and the workmanship he put into making it.

Watch the U-tube video and see how it works. You wouldn't need the twister to be attached to the block, you could just have a notch in the board and hang your ordinary dubbing twister hook below the board (off the side of the table). http://hipwader.com/2007/dubbing-brush-nymph http://fish.diverseworx.com/pat/dubbin.htm

Do you know how much he is selling those for?

Unfortunately, I do not have any Turbo Dubbing Twisters available for sale at this time and my consulting business has really taken off which leaves me no time to make any more in the near future. That being said, I do have a little of the hardware available that is needed to make the Turbo Dubbing Twister discribed in my article in the latest issue of Fly Tyer magazine. If anyone is interested in making their own dubbing twister, I will be happy to send what hardware I have left to save you the time of locating the materials. I belive that I have five of the knobs left which I had to buy in bulk along with the dubbing hooks as well as some other odds and ends. As the article says, these are not difficult to make and they really are a terrific tool at the bench. I've used dubbing loops for years and I'm familiar with most of the other techniques, however, the dubbing twister makes things so easy that it is a worthwhile addition to any serious fly tyers bench. IMHO. If anyone is interested, please send me an email or PM with your shipping address; it's first come first serve until the stuff is gone.

Jim Smith

Jim,

Sent you a PM
    Steve

+ Reply to Thread