+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Poppers?

1. Default Poppers?

I was wondering if there is a specific way to use them for bass.Cause,I was thinking of using some bass sized ones for largmouthes because if I use anything smaller the sunnies will take it.But it seems that all I'm doing is scaring them away. I have small ones that I use only for the sunnies,but I just can't get the bass to take the larger ones.

Default Re: Poppers?

the way i fish a bass popper is to cast it out, let it sit until all the ripples are gone, then give one sharp tug, then another and another and so on. then repeat

MAny times a bass will hit it when it hits the water. If it doesn't let it sit for a while. Then give it one twitch. That usually get's 'em. If it doesn't, repeat until it does.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

Scroll back through the prior post we had a really good thread going with lots of expert replies. If I can find it I'll bring it back to the top.

Greg

If you've ever teased a cat with a string, remember those moments when using a popper. Aint' a whole lot of difference. JGW

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

KPH,

I'm a believer in the old saying "big flies for big fish." I tie a Gurgle Pop style fly that is between 4-6 inches long. Most of my big LMB have been caught on that popper. BB Wulff and flyandtie have it right. Very slow works best most of the time. Faster retrieves with splashing and spurts have their place if you're casting to schooling fish but most of the time the very slow has been my ticket. A word of warning, don't let your mind wander too far with this slow style of fishing. It's easy to get bored and watch birds, frogs, boats, clouds, literally anything but your lure. There is no worse feeling than being out on cloud nine and missing the catch of the summer because you were too slow in setting the hook. You should also be working cover with your popper like downed trees, riprap, road beds, etc.

Don't count on the large popper discouraging blue gills or other sunnies. Sometimes they just won't leave the popper alone. They pull it under by the tail or the legs, spash it, roll across it and try to sink it. I regular catch, both fair and snagged hooked 2-3 inch fish with a 4-6 inch popper. Hope this helps. 8T

wow i'd like to see a pic of that monster gurglepop!

For me, the secret is in the pauses between the pops. The bigger the popper, the more this matters. Remember, bass are primarily ambush predators, they like their prey easy to catch. If a big bug is moving quickly or often, it appears to be more alert and ready to flee. If the bug is moving just often enough to prove it's alive, it will appear to the bass to be more unsuspecting and therefore easier to catch. I've seen bass sit under a popper and/or follow it for quite awhile before deciding to eat it or not. If I can make myself leave the darn thing in one place long enough, he'll usually grab it.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

9. Default Re: Poppers?

Thanks,I guess that it will just be another lesson in patience,as with every other aspect of fly fishing. Dsaavedra,the gurglepop is not huge it's just big enough to keep any sunny from eating it. The little popers that I use for the sunnies,I don't even have to do anything to get them to take it .They eat it cause it's there.

I will try again soon. There is a place that I go fishing on some friends property that hassome realy nice bass,4 to 7 pounders.I can already smell the fish.

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

David,

I'm afraid that I'm photographically challenged and can't get a picture for you. The jumbo Gurgle Pop looks pretty much like you would imagine it. It's tied on a Mustad 37187 Stinger hook size #2. It has two strips of 2mm foam that are 5/8 inches wide for a back. I use the longest bucktail I can find for a tail with Kyrstal flash and two wide saddle hackles on either side of the bucktail. The body is wrapped with medium ice chenille before the 2 foam strips are refolded back toward the head. You can add rubber legs or not. I usually elect not to have rubber legs since the brim love to pull it around with those. The whole bug should be 5-7 inches depending on the bucktail length. You need an 8 or 9 weight line to cast it any distance but with a little practice 60 feet or more is possible. I call this monster the King Tiger Gurgle Pop. Ask any WWII history buff how it got that name. Hope this helps. 8T

+ Reply to Thread