+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rainy Day Tactics

Default Rainy Day Tactics

Don't think I've seen this covered before. What are your tactics for rainy days. We seem to be going through a wet spell in the midwest were it's been raining several times a day for several days and the forcast looks toward at least five more days of the same.

I'm thinking big poppers and frogs. Any advice cause I'm going crazy sitting around the house.

Greg

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Re: Rainy Day Tactics

In spite of what all the fishing writers tell us, I almost never do well in the rain. It doesn't seem to matter what I try, that East wind (SE and S too) seems to put the fish down. I'm sure others will disagree. 8T

With the exception of gully washers rain doesn't usually affect trout fishing. This warm water fishing is new to me.

Greg,

I've had very good luck during times when I was on the lake in my canoe and rain first began falling. The fishing action always picks up immediately, noticeably.

The only explanation I have for this is that fish hear raindrops striking the surface and commence searching for winged insects that have been knocked of the sky. Maybe aquatic nymph activity becomes energized during rain storms, too. I really don't know, but something starts happening and the fish become active.

Whether their increased activity continues for the duration of the storm, I don't know that, either. (If the rain is hard enough, usually after a while I leave just to avoid getting soaked. Or if I hear thunder anywhere, I'm gone.)

Anyway, my advice would be to try a wet fly or nymph pattern, both presented with as slow a retrieve as you can manage. The wet fly will mimic a flying insect that got knocked to the surface then drowned.

Joe
    "Better small than not at all."

Yeah, what Joe said. I seem to have more luck with bluegills and crappie in the rain than I do bass, although there are days.... Depends a lot on the rain too. A gentle rain without a lot of wind and I think Joe's right about bugs getting knocked out of the air and off branches and panfish keying on that. In these cases a small popper or a nymph fished just under the surface seems to work very well. I just had a day like that this week. When it's raining harder and the wind is blowing, I think the same applies, but the extra commotion on the surface from waves and big splashy raindrops makes the fly harder for the fish to find. Then I'll usually go to a bigger popper to make more noise and/or a weighted nymph to get below the disturbance. The fish are still out there, and often still feeding, it's just harder to present the fly effectively.
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

I use flies with rubber legs on them, bright flies, or wet flies I have tied with dry fly hackle.

The first and last push more water, making more sound to help fish find them. The bright flies just show uip better.

If there is thunder around I am gone.

Rick

MY tactic is to use brghter flies that push more water and go slower but i am mostly a trout guy so the rain doesn't seem to affect them

My theory is that if the water is clear, fish see better if it's overcast versus a bright sun. Therefore they are more agressive. They can see your fly better, and are more confident of being able to see predators, so they come out to feed. But I'm not sure I adjust strategy much if it's actually raining other than to work the fly a little harder.

I've had some great days in the rain (but mostly prior to my fly fishing days). But the best part is that other guys go home.

Kinda off the subject, but. With all the rain we've been getting, how do you think this is affecting the water temps, and the spawns. Don't get me wrong, as dry as it's been the last few years, the rain is great. Our local lake is running over for the first time in seven years. Just wanting some feed back, as this is my first year to WW fly fish.

Carl
    Carl

Every day above ground is a good day

In addition to the questions posed I would also like to ask a few. Here in W/Central TX we have been having some serious thunderstorms and quite a bit of rainfall. Our creeks that are normally still are overflowing and running at full speed. How does the faster moving water and Im assuming increased overall turbidity affect the feeding patterns of warm species such as LMB, SMB and bluegill in small streams?

Thanks in advance,

Bruce

+ Reply to Thread