+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Congratulations to James Smith

Anderson, South Carolina (Northwest corner of SC) USA

Default Congratulations to James Smith

I just received my Summer issue of Fly Tyer Magazine and got I real surprise as I was browsing through and looked over pages 62-65. Faol's very own James Smith has four, full-color pages on making and using his Turbo Dubbing Twister. James uses this twister to make an indestructible dubbing brush for his indestructible fur leeches. James was kind enough to send me six fur leeches and six extra dubbing brushes earlier in the year. I've since tried them out and they are real killers for bass and brim. About the only thing that can damage these flies is fire----honestly. James' article explains how to make your own dubbing twister for ten dollars. It's a great article. Congratulatons James and thanks for sharing. 8T

Default Re: Congratulations to James Smith

I'm looking forward to my issue....it's in forwarded mail...

I have one of Jim's Twisters....

A few days ago I gave my friend a fly I tied with a dubbed brush....after 16 to 20 large trout he was marveling that the fly looked as good as new...needless to say I now need to do more brushes and tie the flies he requested.

Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman

A few days ago I gave my friend a fly I tied with a dubbed brush....after 16 to 20 large trout he was marveling that the fly looked as good as new...needless to say I now need to do more brushes and tie the flies he requested.
    "Forwarded Mail?" Does that mean your HOME?
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Quote Originally Posted by DShock
    Quote Originally Posted by ducksterman

"Forwarded Mail?" Does that mean your HOME?
    Yep!

Welcome Home!
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

Thanks for your kind words and to all the folks that took a chance and bought one of my dubbing twitsters It really has become an important tool at my bench and the bodies tied with the wire dubbing brush are almost indestructable. There were several folks that expressed an interest in making their own dubbing twister so I submitted the article to Fly Tyer who graciously accepted it for publishing. If anyone is interested in making your own and has questions about materials etc. please do not hesitate to contact me.

Thanks again for the recognition and have a wonderful holiday weekend.

Jim Smith

Jim....did you ever come up with a motorized version? I don't know if you saw one of my posts showing what I've come up with so far? Cordless drills for me a combersome and can be a little fast.

Ducksterman,

Yes, I actually managed to "design" a motorized version. I used a 900 RMP, 1/20 HP electric motor I got from a wholesale house for $5.00. While it works fine, it is rather large and certainly not the type of tool I'd want to lug around. When I get me camera back, I'll post a photo.

Jim

+ Reply to Thread