+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Better than Christmas!!

Default Better than Christmas!!

We presented all the marvelous gifts from all the FAOL members to John, last night at Fly tying. The look on his face was spectacular! John is not usually found speechless, and this is the closest I've ever seen him. He just could not believe you all would do such a thing! Needless to say we tied no flies last night!

Thank you all so much, from the bottom of my heart.

Flies from Swap Aid!!!

A table full! Also sharing is Bluegill222 (aka Tim Giger)

This was absolutely the best!! And I know Bluegill222 is standing by with more pictures!! Thank you, thank you, thank you!!!
    Hugs to each and all!
    Betty
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Default Re: Better than Christmas!!

That is wonderful Betty! Thanks to Ol' Blue and everyone who sent flies. The look on this John's face speaks volumes. I hope we have another opportunity to give freely in the days ahead. It was astounding how many people stepped up to help out. Thanks again everyone.

Betty,

That was wonderful news! Hope John can soon get back in the fly tying and fishing business. He's so lucky to have you as a friend.

nighthawk Guest

Bless you, Betty. Don't know how I missed donating but you have done a wonderful thing!

I received a note from one of our members who had not heard about John. To refresh ...
    On Good Friday, just after John and his wife left for work, he got a phone call from a neighbor that his home was on fire. By the time all was done, the house had burned to the ground. He and Sandie were left with only what they had on their backs. John is an avid fly tyer and fisherman, and all his materials, tools, books, reels and rods (except the ones I'd built for him, including the rebuild of an old bamboo, that were in his truck) were lost in the fire. The gifts were from other members of FAOL, through a Swap Aid that ol' blue offered, and donations of books and materials sent to me. The outpouring was incredible! Flies came from all across the US, Canada, and Australia. Beautiful flies! Unbelievable numbers!! Materials came in boxes, and bags, and it was like Christmas! One member sent a new vise!! I'd get the packages of materials, and sit and cry with every box! The pouring of love and concern was overwhelming. There were books, originals from the early 1900's, new ones, well used and loved ones. It was absolutely breathtaking! Again thank you to each and every person who sent boxes, ol blue for the time and love he put into the fly un-swap, and for allowing us to know there are still miracles.
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Two things to add to what Betty has said already: First, and nobody who knows her really needs to be told this, Betty is herself a wonderful person and we are all better people for knowing her. While the rest of us were still shaking our heads and trying to grasp what happened, she was already looking for ways to start the healing.So very like her. Second, John was beside himself (and they were both speechless) and wanted to make sure you all know how much this meant to him. It was amazing. Betty kept me posted as things arrived, but I had no idea the scope of it all until last night when it was all there in one place. I've said it before but it bears repeating: this is such an amazing family we have here. I am in awe. Thank you all.

And of course the are more pictures. check out these links:

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/ ... GP0135.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/ ... GP0134.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/ ... GP0132.jpg

http://i202.photobucket.com/albums/aa5/ ... GP0131.jpg

For those of you who haven't met her, the young lady in the pictures is our very own Betty Hiner
    If it swims and eats, it'll eat a fly.

You did good Betty, I respect you a lot for doing this unselfish act. John
    I wish you all everlasting flies and tight lines.

Thanks for the pics! Very nice pile of goodies (and kindness)!

Blog Entries

It is not so much what He got that was important, as much as the fact that He got it .
    I know from a housefire that my Sister went thru it is the outpouring of help from total strangers that is such a blessing in helping Her to heal and recover from such a devastating loss. I wish John and Sandie all the very best in the future and am very proud of our FAOL family who answered the call to help out when it counted.

Betty Thank you and Greg for doing this wonderful thing and letting us be a small part of it.
    For God's sake, Don't Quote me! I'm Probably making this crap up!

Betty,
    Thank You for giving Us the Chance to Help.
    Bill

+ Reply to Thread