+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Night Fishing, Light, Fish Vision

Default Night Fishing, Light, Fish Vision

So what is the deal with night fishing and light. I know that I have read turning bringing unnatural light into the picture is bad news (Makes sense to me). What about a red light...same story? By red light, I mean a red filter plate over a mag light lens or something. Just curious...

Default Re: Night Fishing, Light, Fish Vision

i fished at nite on most of the lg rivers here in eastern pa. lehigh, laxawaxen, delaware, everyone did not use lights, if you changed flys and use a light you best got out turn away from creek. some of fisherman were ready to push in, or fight. if you have fish working and you put the light on the water you can go for a cup coffee. in full moon stay home chase the wife. flyman 3

Might depend on the type of fish...out here, one of the big lakes south of us reports great night fishing for Crappie in the area lit up by the floodlight on the back side of the marina building. Seems to be just the right amount of light apparently...

i do a fair amount of after dark fishing during the summer months, and I use one of those small LED headlamps. Haven't noticed a problem. The freestoners I frequent are noisy and rough enough that you could probably fish from the back of a radioactive hippo and get away with it.

Fishing at night with lights...

I for one stay away from the LEDs..
    they are brighter then most lights and penatrate the water...

try this some time....
    LED (vs) reg. flashlight...
    shine the led in the water till you find a fish... and see how long before he moves away from the light...
    move down stream and find another and shine it with a reg. flashlight... he will sit there longer then the first fish...

Yes you should always have a bright light when walking.. and know the areas you will be fishing...
    most people will turn their backs to the water when changing flies it does effect the fish...

Last thing... once your eyes get use to the darkness.. you can see better then you think..
    Ive seen several times where people has kept there lights on while they are fishing (even the red LEDs)... It does effect the fishing

Leonard

Night Angler,

I think, from reading your posts, that you do a lot of night fishing and I have had some thoughts on night fishing and lights and figured you would be the person that probably has tried my idea or maybe would want to try it. Please understand that this is just an idea running around in my empty head!

Before I started fly fishing about 14 years ago, I was a tournament bass fisherman and have spent many, many hours fishing at night from my bass boat and have always used a black light to illuminate my mono line which had to be clear blue flurorescent to show up under a black light.

Now I make my own furled leaders and was wondering if I made up a furled leader from clear blue fluororescent mono would it show up under a black light? How about using clear blue fluororescent for tippet also. With a small black light, which does not affect your night vision, you might be able to see your leader and tippet. Tying flies on would also be very easy.

Do you think the glow from a black light would affect the fish? How about the furled leader showing up under a black light? Would it show up after being furled and if so, would the "glow" from it affect fish?

Just a bunch of idle thoughts running around in my head. I no longer own my bass boat, but, still have my black lights and casting rods and reels. Should get rid of them since they have not been used since I started fly fishing.

What are your thoughts on the above? Please understand that I am not recommending the above, I am just thinking out loud and using you for a sounding board.
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

I think it would be worth a try...

if anything.. you'd just draw in more bugs..

As for as getting the mono to "glow"..
    what size line are you looking at useing??

is this fly fishnig at night for bass or trout..
    if its bass... probably nothing would effect the outcome..
    trout on the other hand.. maybe alittle different... I think you'd want to "conceal" the line and not let it glow...

but that just may thoughts...
    I may try that this summer....

Leonard

Night Angler,

"Glow" probably was not a good word to use. When you use clear blue fluorescent mono line under a black light, it can be seen for at least 20 or more feet. Matter of fact, 10 pound test looks like 1/4" rope!! The light from a "black light" really makes it show up and anything white shows up real bright under the glow from a "black light". I am thinking that the only person to see this would be the angler who will be behind the light. I do not think the line will be able to be seen from the "fish" end where it enters the water.

I am not sure if clear blue fluorescent mono will retain it's fluorescent properties after being furled, but, if it does, then a furled leader made from it would be great for night fishing for bass using a "black light".

Since starting fly fishing, I have not night fished any for trout and probably never will. Something about fast water in rivers with deep holes and night fishing just bothers me a little!

If I do take my thoughts and put them into actions and experiment with this any further, I will let you know the outcome.

Thanks,
    Warren
    Fly fishing and fly tying are two things that I do, and when I am doing them, they are the only 2 things I think about. They clear my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by WarrenP
    Since starting fly fishing, I have not night fished any for trout and probably never will. Something about fast water in rivers with deep holes and night fishing just bothers me a little!

Now that just aint right!!!

If your ever in the Branson Mo area... look me up.. It'll be a blast!!

I really do hope that I get a chance to take you up on that offer!! Now, if I could just get retired!! Thanks a lot for the offer!
    Warren

+ Reply to Thread