+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Suggestions on how to choose the right Fishing Dog?

Default Suggestions on how to choose the right Fishing Dog?

So I know someone that is looking to get a new dog. Yes he fishes and yes he is dying to find that right dog breed to take fishing.

Question is how would you choose and train the right Fishing dog, I guess there's no right/wrong dog to get but some work better than others maybe??

Would you get a water dog ie: Lab/Chesapeake/ etc..
    Or non water dog so you wont have to worry about it jumping in all the time?
    Ideas would be very helpful since choosing and training a dog to take fishing with you can be a challenge

Default Re: Suggestions on how to choose the right Fishing Dog?

Well I would choose a dog based on fur colour, texture and length, That way if it turns out to be a pain when fishing you can at least use his fur to tie your favourite hair wing pattern.
    All the best.
    Mike.

This seems to be a dillema. You want to take a dog fishing but you don't want the dog to retrieve your fish.
    I have a feeling Chris might have some insight to this question.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

My Weimaraner, Smoky Joe, has turned into a terrific fishing companion! He is a decent hunting dog, but he used to refuse to swim for anything but shot game...then it was only grudgingly. Now he will follow me across any water I can wade. If you fish really cold water mostly, then you might choose a breed better suited for colder water like a Lab, Golden, Chessie, American Water Spaniel, Pudelpointer, German Wirehair, or Griffon. The dog should have a calm disposition and be given to sitting/laying on the bank watching you fish for prolonged periods of time...gently milling about from time to time. But I do a lot of trout fishing in a relatively mild climate here in the Ozarks and in the Rockies during late summer/early fall. And the Weimaraner has no problem with that. The other advantage to short-haired breeds like the Weim, Vizla, and GSP is that they dry quickly and don't get matted up with thorns, burrs, and such. And ticks are easy to find and remove. Running water rinses off the mud, so the stream normally takes care of the bathing as well as it does on your waders and boots.

Now to training...

I used to train gundogs professionally. ANY dog needs solid obedience training beginning right out of the whelping box. I'm not going into details here. But at a MINIMUM, all decent dogs must come on command, sit/lay down, stay, and be properly socialized to other dogs and people. A Chessie is naturally very territorial and mistrusting of strangers. Not a positive thing when fishing, unless you fish the Angeles National Forest outside of LA...where gang murders and drug dealing are chasing anglers off the water and campers, hikers, and anglers are turning up shot dead in their tents/vehicles. All dogs have a well-tuned sense of danger and will alert their owners to threatening behavior from strangers. But Chessies get aggressive around most strangers who get "too close." This is a desirable trait in that breed that comes from the old days of market gunning for waterfowl. Part of their job was to guard the hunter's gear and birds while he negotiated a selling price, etc. Different times and different place. You need to be able to keep your dog out of the water and he needs to not be given to wandering off at every little sound or glimpse of other people, animals, etc. He needs to also not need to stay glued to your side at all times if you are a fly angler. He needs to develop a sense of casting distance and the space you need to fish. Most dogs will pick this up pretty quickly...in a few outings. One or two snagged ears and they get the idea of a back cast. BUT...YOU need to be mindful of the dog's presence, too! Check your back casts more frequently, maintain constant awareness of the dog's location, and FISH BARBLESS ONLY. You are likely to only get one chance to yank a barbed hook out of a dog's flesh. You can destroy a bond that took a long time to build in a split-second. Not to mention the health risks to the dog and the potential for biting...which is a health risk to YOU.

Finally, if you are not going to treat the dog as a fishing buddy, don't bother. Dogs can be great companions for fishing trips. But they can also ruin one. Talk to the dog. Take some time to pet and play with him as you fish. Take some dog treats in your vest/gear bag and give him one now and then. Share some meat camp food with the dog. These are the things that make the trip special to HIM...and you if you have the right attitude. Do not overlook feeding and watering. It's hard work for a dog to wade a stream all day and he needs hydration and energy. He will drink out of the stream. But in camp he will need lots of fresh water. Ice from a cooler can be a treat he really enjoys on a hot day. Take appropriate bedding for the dog if you are camping out. Treat it for insects. My Weim sleeps on a small bed I bought for $10 at Walgreens when we are camping...in my tent with me. Dogs staked out in a campground will NOT tend to win you friends from your neighbors! They tend to bark. Not cool! Make sure you stop fishing in time for the dog to dry off before turning in if sharing quarters with him. Wet dog smell is funky and unpleasant. Teach the dog not to relieve himself in inappropriate places...especially if you'll be camping! A dog walking up and peeing on my tent or gear is NOT going to get him or you on my good side! He must be taught to respect gear, waders, boots, camping equipment, etc. My Weim actually wanders away from others and campsites to a secluded spot out of the traffic pattern to take care of business. I've had several resort, cabin, and campground owners comment on this over the course of his lifetime. They really appreciate it. Most people insist I bring him along when I go places for overnight visits. That's a good sign that things are in order.

Yes, all of this takes a major investment of time, trouble, patience, education, and money. It takes 1-2 years to have a great dog for the next decade. The first 6 months of training is VERY demanding of your time and attention...WAY moreso than most people expect or think it should. But having a great dog is about like having a great kid with less maintenance and upkeep. Let's face it. You can't get by with tossing your kids out in the backyard for hours or even days on end. And you can bathe a dog monthly or even less. And vet bills are a LOT cheaper than doctors, dentists, optometrists, and orthodontists. Other than that, it's not much different. They're also cheaper and easier to feed. But if you aren't going to make the proper investment, don't bother getting a dog. The dog deserves better, YOU deserve better, your family deserves better, and your neighbors and the people you encounter in public deserve better.

Silvermallard,

Thanks a ton for your insight and experiences. I will definitely pass them on to my friend. Having a dog for one can be always a challenge, than to train one can be tough, than lastly taking him/her fishing can make for an interesting day!

Thanks

Well, I for one can tell you what I have to deal with.

My Lab is a year and some now... I trained her last winter for Pheasant hunting. She makes a decent flusher... doesn't follow the bird once its up though.

Anyways, fishing. She love's the water. It is somewhat of a battle when pond fishing to keep her from charging out into the water. And if a rabbit runs out away from the pond... oh' lord. I dunno, I just find it easier NOT to take her fishing. I tend to like to concentrate when fly fishing (getting flies out of tree's and untangling knots takes concentration), and having to watch after a dog constantly is tough.

I still do it though. One day, one of us will get trained.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeBrat
    Well, I for one can tell you what I have to deal with.

My Lab is a year and some now... I trained her last winter for Pheasant hunting. She makes a decent flusher... doesn't follow the bird once its up though.

Anyways, fishing. She love's the water. It is somewhat of a battle when pond fishing to keep her from charging out into the water. And if a rabbit runs out away from the pond... oh' lord. I dunno, I just find it easier NOT to take her fishing. I tend to like to concentrate when fly fishing (getting flies out of tree's and untangling knots takes concentration), and having to watch after a dog constantly is tough.

I still do it though. One day, one of us will get trained.
    Generally speaking, Mike, I don't think it's a good idea. There aren't many folks who have dogs that add to the experience. In fact, most will mess things up for OTHER people. It's one thing to decide to screw up your own fishing. It's entirely unsportsmanlike to do it to others.

8. Default Re: Suggestions on how to choose the right Fishing Dog?

In my case, I had to wait for the dog to age a bit. Duncan is an 11 year old chocolate lab who just became a good fishing companion about a year ago. I tried in the past, but, being a lab with a serious prey drive, I could never get him to settle. His bird duties have been taken over by his niece, Pearl, so now he is my buddy on the stream. He has calmed down in his old age and will quietly sit in the water next to me (as long as it's not moving too fast) as I fish. When fish are caught, he dutifully inspects them before they are released. All it takes is a frequent pat on the head, some kind words, and a few treats and he is happy. Best dog I've ever had the priviledge to be around.

You are very fortunate to have your dog. Duncan sounds like a wonderful dog.
    Enjoying the joys of others and suffering with them- these are the best guides for man. A.E.

My new fishing pal -- maybe -- she likes water awefully much, and is about the friendliest dog I have ever met. She's about 50 lbs at only 17 weeks. Her dad was 165 lbs. I'm trying to find a market for drool and black dog hair.

+ Reply to Thread