+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Casting Ability Rating

Default Casting Ability Rating

Last year I hired a guide for a fly fishing trip. Before we left, he asked me how well I could cast. I know it is a valid question since it may determine what streams we could fish. I have been fly fishing for 5 years. I am not an expert caster but on the other hand I am not a beginner either. I am somewhere in between. It seems to me that the catagory of "intermediate" has alot of variabilty. I am sure the guide quickly recognized my abilities as soon as he saw my casting stroke, but on the other hand I was astonished at my inability to describe how well I can cast. So... here is my question. How would you catagorize a casting ability that is:
    1. Beginner Intermediate
    2. Intermediate
    3. Advanced Intermediate
    What could a guide expect if you told them you fit into any of the catagories above?

Default Re: Casting Ability Rating

What a terrific question! Ray Du Bois told us about a saltwater guide he fished with made you cast for him BEFORE you even got in the boat. Talk about pressure... If you couldn't cast to his satisfaction, he would not take you.

Beginner: 30 ft cast at best, no roll cast or 'fancy' casts (curve cast, slack line cast, etc.) Poor accuracy. Back cast hitting the water or brush/trees along the water.

Beginner / Intermediate: mostly accurate casts to 40 ft., roll cast, able to place the fly without too many false casts, able to land the fly without chasing off every fish in the stream, and pick up the line without having the fly make any sound when leaving the water. Less bad backcasts and hooking trees. Loose line floating on the water, not under control.

Intermediate: able to produce the right cast for the situation without being told. Distance in the 40 - 50 ft range, but with good accuracy and authority. Should be able to do most 'common' casts listed above, plus the reach cast, tower cast, puddle cast, and deep water load. Very few bad backcasts. Can put the fly where the guide says to, quickly. Mends line to get the longest possible drag-free float.

Advanced Intermediate: Casts to 70 feet or more accurately, on demand. Roll cast to 40 ft. Double-haul. Able to cast with either hand. Knows how to counter wind conditions, by casting sidearm or cross-body or switching hands. Automatically makes the cast necessary for conditions. Able to manage slack line to get the fish on the reel as quickly as possible. Has the line under complete control at all times. Knows how to correct casting mistakes when they happen. His casting has become 'automatic' he doesn't have to think of what cast he needs to make, he just makes it.

Keep in mind, a person who has only fished saltwater or only fished freshwater, or small streams or lakes will not have the same frame of reference or ability as someone who has fished a wider variety of waters.

Good shot. I would have run like heck from this one.

Seriously, I can not answer the question. Just far too many definitions and opinions involved. To print almost anything probably will hurt or insult someone. I think we're all pretty darn good at whatever it is we do. If we weren't, we wouldn't do it. Getting better and learning new things and improving our talents is good for us though. I still try to learn whenever or whatever I can.

Oh, my!! There are days that I wouldn't EVEN make it ON the list!
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

Wow, a humility test!

"I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

WOW! I must be an incredibly versatile caster because I do all those things. I can side arm cast into a stiff breeze and hook the tree behind me on the very next cast. lol.

I had a dream that I was casting 100 feet with no double haul and putting the fly in a 6" circle. It was beautiful.

Then I woke up and was mad.

This is very timely. Today I went fishing with a new fishing buddy. It was a small wild trout stream and so we took turns fishing the pools and runs. Up until today I would have said that I was a decent caster, but this guy made me feel like a COMPLETE NOVICE and he's only been flyfishing for 7 years!

He also caught 4 times the number of fish than I.

Ladyfisher,
    Thanks for the wonderful reply to my question. I now have a framework to "judge" my casting ability. I really like your comment about fly fishers having a "different frame of reference". Due to my location, I mainly fish warmwater lakes out of a boat/canoe. I have to deal with long casts fighting the wind with large bass flies and sinking lines. I can count on my fingers and toes the times I have fished a small brush lined stream requiring stealth and delicate presentations. To be blunt, I am more comfortable with a double hual and "chuck and duck" than a roll cast. When a guide asks me how I cast in the future, I will include the "frame of reference" so the guide can meet my needs better. I like JC's comment that "still trying to learn" is the goal. The more you fish in different situations the more you learn and expand your "frame of reference". I realize that the modern day approarch is "I want it now" by pressing the easy button. The more I fly fish (5yrs) I am realizing that the "I want it now" philosophy is incompatible with real fly fishing.
    caribe
    PS (for Gramps)
    You can cast over 100 ft without double hualing. Just wait for the next hurricane wind and let your line out. Unfortunately you can only cast in one direction and the only thing you will hook are shingles from your neighbors house.

Thats what roll casts and tail winds are for

+ Reply to Thread