+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Love My New Found Freedom

Default Love My New Found Freedom

I'm finally getting to log some time in my kayak. It's a bit of a struggle to load and unload one-legged, but well worth the effort. I can quietly zip around in places I could never go with my power boat. Don't have to worry about weeds on the prop. I do seem to have a bit of a problem with the boat wanting to veer slightly to port. Might be because oF more weight on one side because I still have my left leg or maybe my skeg needs adjusting. I guess it's possible I just paddle crooked.
    I've been staying on small water so far, but I'm really enjoying exploring all the nooks and crannies of Farmersville's small South Lake. Caught some decent gills to go along with baby gills and green sunfish. Water is still cool enough that even the little green sunfish are really clobbering foam spiders & popping bugs, and pulling like they were giants.
    The lake is really getting covered with lily pads and some kind of stringy weeds that mat up rather heavily. The weeds don't bother my paddling, but are a real PITA fly fishing. Lily pads are good for anchoring. Just slip the top of one under the elastic lash downs on my yak & flail away to my heart's content.
    I'm really loving this kayaking stuff.YEEHAW!!! Can hardly wait to get out on a bigger lake and do some serious exploring. Prolly gonna have to do some hunting for spots to launch until I get more practice loading/unloading.

Amongst the Mangroves of West Central, Florida

Default Re: Love My New Found Freedom

Right here ... right now ... with my able body, I hope no one ever hears me complain about having to load and unload my kayaks.

Perhaps and "Extend-A-Bed" from Harbor Freight. Put some rollers on it and a small electric winch up near the front of the bed of a pick up truck.

I'm already thinking about how to unload my kayak/s when I'm not so able bodied. I'm thinking about a light weight boom with a small electric winch for hoisting them on top of a truck rack.

Good job there rodgerole, getting out on the water.
    "Only the half-mad are wholly alive." ~~ Edward Abbey

Way to go Rodger! We are proud of ya buddy.*G* Warm
    regards, Jim

Guys,
    There are a lot of power winches for Amigo's to get them in and out of vans and such. Perhaps one of these could be adapted to a small UPPWC (unpowered personal water craft).

Bobinmich

Glad to see your getting out and catching fish. With the algae in the lake make sure your clean the hull before going in private ponds.

Tight lines and quick strikes Rodger

Philip
    Excuse my spelling and grammar, I hooked Mondays and Fridays to either fish or hunt.

rodgerrole,
    I don't know what the difficulties are you are having loading and unloading the 'yak, but if you want some help brainstorming for ideas on how to make it easier please post the particulars of your car, craft and rack and I'm su re y ou'll get some good responses.

jed

Agree with Jed, as I do not know about Rogerole's disability issues or what he needs to achieve in loading etc re car/craft. If I knew more I can try to offer an idea or two?
    "We do not inherit the earth; we borrow it from our children."

+ Reply to Thread