+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Three Forks 3WT

Default Three Forks 3WT

I just ordered one of these for the kids(ya, right) to learn to cast and for Dad to use on some of the smaller waters. Realizing that this is a completely subjective and relative question, what lines are you using on it? Will it stand up to overlining? I was thinking about trying a DT4 on it since I've got a 4wt, that way the line could do double duty.

Thanks,

J

Default Re: Clear creek 3wt.

Try the 4 wt line and see. I have a 3 wt Three Forks and it'll stand a 4 wt line rather well. However I bought it to fish with a 3 wt line. If I would have wanted a 4 wt I would have bought a 4 wt.

Default Re: Three Forks 3WT

Thanks Jerry. Had a Brain F@rt, it is the three forks I ordered. My 4wt actually throws a 5DT really well and loads with less line out, but just isn't short enough for some of the places I fish. The 3wt line would probably be a better choice as far as the kids are concerned. Just trying to kill as many birds as I can with the same stone.

The three wt Three Forks is the best buy in the history of mankind.
    I've had one for years (now on my third one, don't ask me how that happened its rather detailed)
    I have found no limitations to the rod. Every time I fish it I wonder why everybody does not own one. Perhaps its cuz some folks figger they don't cost enough. The current models are really nice looking. The earlier ones were rather rough and crude (but still good casters)

I used a 4 wt. on mine, and never looked back. Great combo for small streams.

Chuck

I have 2 of these Three Forks 3wts, one with the weight forward line that came with the combo and the other with a 444 peach classic double taper and either one seems to work fine. Not being any kind of expert caster or any thing I might question trying to teach a youngster to cast with a 3wt. It just seems easier for me to learn to cast a Three Forks 5wt first. I currently have 3 5wts and 3 3wts and find that it is quite a transition to go down to one of the 3wt 7.5 footers and I really have to pay attention to casting for a while until I make the needed adjustments in casting stroke. Once that is done I really enjoy fishing with the lighter setup.

My Daughter (12) can cast my 4 & 5wts just fine. The 3wt was intended for my son(6...he he.. and me ). The 4 & 5 are just too long for his arm strength. He does really well playing and landing his own fish, but gets frusturated cause he can't cast like his sister! I was just thinking the lighter weight rod may give him an edge.

If not, I'll just have to fish it until he's ready

( Can't tell in the pic, but he actually has a loop of line under his index finger and stripped that fish in on his own. I was very proud of him.)

Great answer and pictures. Thanks

I've had one ofthe older, rougher finished ones several years. I use a 3wt double taper SA line, and I love it.

Mark

I'm sorry, I know eveybody loves this rod, but for me it's a dog.
    I've tried mine with a WF3, a DT3, a WF4, and a DT4. It's still at the bottom of my "must fish" pile.
    It's not like I have anything about low priced rods. The stick I've been using for the last couple of weeks retails for $20 and I love it.
    Again, I apologize to those who like this rod (I've said this before and been flamed big-time), but I cannot recommend this rod to anyone.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

+ Reply to Thread