Thread: A Taste Of Yesterday's Outing With Coach Knight

Blog Entries

Default A Taste Of Yesterday's Outing With Coach Knight

When you arise in the morning, think of what a
    precious privilege it is to be alive - to breathe, to think,
    to enjoy, to love.
    - Marcus Aurelius

Default Re: A Taste Of Yesterday's Outing With Coach Knight

Pretty hard to recognize without a jaded ref or scared kid in front of him! I hear tossing chairs is actually pretty good fly casting practice, though.

Marty

Several years ago I pastored a small church just outside of Indianapolis. A 17 year old young man had a reccurring bout with cancer and had to go to the hospital. He was a die-hard Indiana Hoosier fan. Word got out to Bobby Knight and the coach visited this young man in the hospital with a signed basketball, jersey, and other basketball related items. Coach didn't make a big fuss about it and was there by himself. Only a few people knew about it. This young man died 3 days later. I guess I'll always believe Coah Knight is a very compassionate man. When I saw the picture of him fishing in the small creek, I simply smiled, knowing he was thoroughly enjoying his time on the water. I know he's had some pretty bizarre moments, but he's also had some pretty spectacular moments as well.

Quote Originally Posted by gqualls
    Several years ago I pastored a small church just outside of Indianapolis. A 17 year old young man had a reccurring bout with cancer and had to go to the hospital. He was a die-hard Indiana Hoosier fan. Word got out to Bobby Knight and the coach visited this young man in the hospital with a signed basketball, jersey, and other basketball related items. Coach didn't make a big fuss about it and was there by himself. Only a few people knew about it. This young man died 3 days later. I guess I'll always believe Coah Knight is a very compassionate man. When I saw the picture of him fishing in the small creek, I simply smiled, knowing he was thoroughly enjoying his time on the water. I know he's had some pretty bizarre moments, but he's also had some pretty spectacular moments as well.
    Coach Knight is like all of the rest of us: a man of mixed positive and negative attributes. But, as a public figure, his have just been exposed to more people than most of ours have. I sure hope I don't get exactly what I deserve when all is said and done. So I don't hope Coach Knight does either. He's a phenomenal coach with a bit of a temper that has occassionally resulted in bad judgment. Where I come from, that isn't actually all that uncommon among people in general. Knight just happens to have cameras around all the time and the rest of us don't.

He fished with Jerry McKinnis a few times on the Fishin Hole. Seemed like a decent guy and fisherman on there.

I happen to have a great deal of respect for the man! My faults are many, I'm just fortunate that I'm not followed by a camera crew.

Marty

I also have a great deal of respect for Bobby Knight. As stated, his temper is well documented. Jerry McKinnis had fished with him many times, & they are close friends. I guess he's a dynamite fly fisher. Sharing a stream with him would indeed be a special memory.
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Knight's kids re successful on the court and in the classroom. It's hard to ask for more than that from a coach. Most of his players would run through a wall for him.

Can you imagine if we had a chair nearby when we miss a striking fish?
    Watched him on a fishing show where he verbally "coached" a fish to
    his hook... now that's coaching.
    Q
    "I envy not him that eats better meat than I do, nor him that is richer, or that wears better clothes than I do; I envy nobody but him, and him only that catches more fish than I do." Izaak Walton
    God Bless and Tight Lines ----*<(((>< ~ ~ ~

The Herbert Hoover quote comes to mind:

"Men are equal before fish."

+ Reply to Thread