+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Waders-cheap and good???

Default Waders-cheap and good???

Well, as of today (Father's Day), I'm set up with a noobie combo complete with video, and a fly tying kit. I've spent my entire 37 years in Colorado and Wyoming, and never picked up flyfishing- decided it was time. My wife was afraid to get the wrong thing, so I got to choose that stuff. Whether I chose well remains to be seen. I didn't get waders because I know how bad they can be. So my question is this- does anybody make a set for $40 or so that generally don't leak? Which brands should I avoid? I tried to click the link for Bare that Castwell posted in one of my search returns, but it was dead.
    I'd also like to say thanks for the most helpful and informative site I've found so far, and thanks in advance for any advice you can give me.

Steve.

The closest thing I have found that is cheap and good is not that cheap, but is that good. It is the LL Bean Emergers. I think they cost about $100. Mine are in their third or fourth year of hard use and I have not put on a single patch. Plus if you ever feel that you did not get your fair share of use from them you have the LL Bean 100% customer satisfaction guarantee.

jed

Cabela's has some pvc waders that are around 50$ for boot foots.
    I have a pair that I use as a back-up.
    They work fine.
    The simpler the outfit, the more skill it takes to manage it, and the more pleasure one gets in his achievements.
    --- Horace Kephart

Welcome to the finest of fly fishing sites.You will find lots of help and advise here at FAOL.

You didn't say if you are after chest waders or hippers.I have a pair of hippers that I bought about ten years ago from Cabela's that cost me around $50. I have never had them leak as of yet. And Cabela's is great with customer service also.

Tight Lines
    Rocky

i second jed's bean suggestion. but depending on the water temp, you can always wet wade until you find a pair...

BobCat,

Well a very warm welcome to 'ya. ...

A short word on quality, ... While I don't endorse one brand over another, ... factoring OUT the marketing and $$ for a name, ... We DO get what we pay for, ... or more importantly, ... don't get for what we DON'T pay for.

There are some fine $$/price products out there, ... ask around here and you'll get some good ideas.

I'm tough on my stuff and I expect waders to last over 10 years so the whole familly uses "guide weight" stuff. We don't have thorns and stuff on our river banks, but we wear our stuff 12-16 hours a day, many many days per year.

------------------
    Christopher Chin
    Jonquiere Quebec
    [url=http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/:90b9a]http://pages.videotron.com/fcch/[/url:90b9a]
    Christopher Chin

Perhaps you get what you pay for. I have a pair of chest waders by Simms. Gift from wife so don't know price but think very spendy. But I really like them and wouldn't even try anything else right now...because they are so good..and breathe. I have never had Cabelas but have heard several people on the stream complain about how hot they get in them.

JIm

As Fcch stated "We DO get what we pay for, ... or more importantly, ... don't get for what we DON'T pay for".When it comes to comfortable and reliable Wading I treated myself to a pair of Simms Waders.There are Manufacturors that have Waders that are in alittle high in Price that you stated.Hodgman comes right to mind.Here's a link that you may want to look at.http://www.fcsurplus.ca/shopping/sho ... est+Waders

I have never heard about the Manufactor of these Waders but you do have some options.You can also visit Sports Authurity cause they carry inexpensive Waders which also includes Hodgman.Check Ebay to.

I baught a pair of breathable waders from Sports Authurity on sale for $49 they are just fine and made of the breathable material you find on Hodgeman, Orvis, Simms and other wader brands. I have used them now for the last 5 months every week and they work great. They are regularly priced at $99 so go check Sports Authurity.

Oh, They are made by Drakes.

+ Reply to Thread