+ Reply to Thread

Thread: I think I have lost my Gander Mtn./Redington rig to a new fl

nighthawk Guest

Default I think I have lost my Gander Mtn./Redington rig to a new fl

Well it finally happened yesterday. I was out in the back yard practicing my casting when Amy came out to go to the store. I talked her into picking up the rod and trying to cast. In no time at all she was shooting out some nice 20+ foot casts! Amy has never fly fished and you should have seen the look on her face! I haven't seen her have so much fun in a long time. She look at me and said that now she understood why I love to go fly fishing. Folks, I think and hope we have a new fly fisher in our ranks and I have a new fishing buddy. What a great day!!

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Your attitude determines your altitude!

Eric,
    Now imagine how she'll be after she catches her first fish on a fly rod!
    Not only am I thrilled for you, I'm thrilled for Amy!!
    Betty

------------------
    Trouts don't live in ugly places
    Trouts don't live in ugly places.

A friend is not who knows you the longest, but the one who came and never left your side.

Don't look back, we ain't goin' that way.

nighthawk Guest

I should also add that Amy is facinated by fly tying.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Eric:

Women "see" the world in a hole different and, I have to say, wonderfull way from that of us men. Imagine your fly boxes filled with patterns that come from two different worlds!!

My mom helps me tying and it's great to have her views on the art, no matter if it is in the flies she ties or with her comments about mine. May be some day she'll be casting her flies to a fish, who knows?

Congrats

Dave

Eric,
    Enjoyed talkin' to you last night/this am...tell Amy to keep practicing & I'll let her cast the 'boo once it's restored. I might even let YOU give it a test!
    Personally, I think woman have the potential to outdo us guys when it comes to flyfishing & tying!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

Lucky man Nighthawk. I sure wish I could get the Lady of the House to go with me now and then. FFng isn't her cup of tea, even though she is an excellent athlete. (I quit playing tennis with here when she beat me 6-0, 6-0, 6-0 a few years ago!!)

One time several years ago, I was trying to learn to double-haul at a casting clinic. I didn't seem to "get it" and then she said, "you're not listening to the man." "Huh", sez I, "you do it then" handing her the rod. Bingo, she wings a cast out there 40 feet or so on the second try. Then she handed the rod back and said, "listen!". (It was a chilly drive back home that day I seem to remember.)

------------------
    Snow on the roof but with fire still in the hearth

nighthawk
    How wonderful for you both! Ron and I both enjoy fly fishing and tying together..and we have become each others favorite fishing partners! It's such a wonderful thing to do together and I am acttually interested in what he's talking about and vise versa. Not to mention the wonderful days spent together in beautiful places and the trips taken together instead of seperately...We also have met wonderful people we both enjoy.. I wish you both many years of fun together...
    VEE

nighthawk Guest

Thank you all for your responses. Both Amy and I are thrilled with them. I was so excited that I forgot to tell you all a little bit about Amy. Amy is not what I would call the real outdoors type. She doesn't hate it but she can take it or leave it if you know what I mean. She did like to go fishing with me when we dated in school though I suspect she liked the smooching better than the fishing and there was nothing wrong with that. She always makes good comments about the venison and pan fish I bring home. She is a top notch wild fish and game cook. She eats the wild game but cannot eat fish. She is catch and release for fish as she cannot bring hersef to kill them and that is one of the many things I love about her. She knows that sometimes the fish will die no matter how careful we are and that we keep them when that happens. Some years ago Amy was badly injured at work. She had three discs removed from her cervical spine and suffers daily pain along with nerve problems in her arm. Many times I have told her that fly fishing helps me to get some reliefe form my arthritic pain and helps me clear my mind of troubles. I think that appeals to her. I think she now has some understanding of what I mean when I say it's just you, the rod and the fish in a peaceful surrounding. I think she is also trying to deepen our realationship and I'm all for that too.
    I need advice on how to keep her interest up and what lenght/weight/action of rod would help her given her medical condition (she was casting a 2pc. 9ft.5/6 wt fast action). I also need advice on a good casting video/dvd for her as my broken pinkee finger doesn't let me set a good example right now. Any advice from you dear folks would be of a great help right now.

------------------
    Eric "nighthawk"

Eric,

As VEE mentioned she is my favorite fishing partner. When she said she was interested in learning to fly fish, I bought her the best rod/reel/line I could afford. (It was better than what I was fishing with, so if she didn't like it....) The best thing to do is let the little lady test cast a couple of rods at the fly shop, making sure they match your target fish and conditions. If there is no fly shop nearby, use your best judgement.

I can heartily suggest both TFO and Elkhorn rods, as we have each in our family quiver. They are both nice casting rods that won't break the bank.

REE

Eric,
    Let's get together...I'll have Amy cast my 4 wt Scott SAS...easy casting rod, & with the 3 wt & the bamboo, it is available as a loaner. Who knows, she might like it!
    Mike
    FAOL..All about caring, sharing, & good friends!!

+ Reply to Thread