+ Reply to Thread
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Poo Goo Flotant, the good and bad

Default Poo Goo Flotant, the good and bad

After trying this product for the past couple of months I am convinced that it's the best flotant out there. It is really tacky and stays on your fly all day. It also repells water better than Gink. The bottle I got has a mind of it's own and has now completely leaked out all over my vest over a few trips. The leaking has been a pain in my a$$ and now if I need flotant I have to get out a fly box that's covered in the stuff and wipe my fly against it. I think if I get another bottle of it I will transfer it to a gink bottle or just keep it on the floor of my boat where it won't make such a mess.

Where did you get it? Is there a web site for it?

Thanks!

Greg

Does the label recommend it for treating lines?

Jim

[This message has been edited by nowindknots (edited 22 June 2005).]

Benjo:

I use it to dress my fly lines on the advice of Rio my fly line of choice. It is pure silicone and works great but I thought it would be too sticky to use on flies but I guess I was wrong. I also had a leaky bottle, it seemed the top cracked from screwing it down too tight; pain in the butt.

trout-seeker:

Look for it at shops that sell Rio products since I believe they distribute it. I just picked up three bottles today from my local Rio dealer.

Hey Benjo!
    Look at the brite side. With that stuff all over your vest, YOU will never sink. A great and probably cheap PFD.
    Hey, just thought of a great marketing idea............

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

Gente;
    The stuff is known as "Andys' Poo Goo"?. I recently read a great bit on flotants. What made most sense to me was the proper amount to apply. Seems that if you put too much flotant on, you're increasing the density (weight per volume) of the fly and as it hits the surface of the water it breaks the surface tension and proceeds to sink. Exactly opposite to the intended result. The great thing about Poo Goo is that it is hydrophobic, repels water molecules without adding significant weight and a little goes a long way.

Mark

------------------
    I'd rather be in Wyoming!

[url=http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/accessories_prodpage.asp?product=26030:71925]http://www.rioproducts.com/pages/accessories_prodpage.asp?product=26030[/url:71925]

Greg

Benjo, thanks for telling us about it. Trout-Seeker....also thanks for locating it for us. That's been one of my big hang ups...the dry fly sinking and also the tip of my dry line sinking. I really appreciate this thread and info. Rio mag ad pretty convincing in the pic about a competitors floating line tip sinking and showing theirs still on top of the water. I want to get some of the floatant....and probably should get some Rio lines. Question...can that poo goo stuff be put in one of those small traveling pump hair spray or cologne bottles? You can buy these empty pretty cheap. Will the Poo Goo work in it...or is it to thick to spray????? Also do you dip your fly in it...or...uh...how do you apply it as it comes in the bottle? (used Orvis Spray Floatant yesterday on lake....after caught first fish...was getting the spray bottle out all day long.....couldn't keep fly afloat for very long)

Big Thanks,

Jim

I find it hard to believe that the stuff works as a line dressing. It is sticky and would attract dirt. It seems that it would cause more friction in the guides. I may have to give that a try though to see how it works. It is made by Andre Puyan and distributed through Rio. Andre is supposed to be an amazing caster and fisherman.

I've used the poo goo for at least 5 years now and had the same problem with top cracking. I just took the top from a similar empty bottle of Loon flotant and no problem.

+ Reply to Thread