+ Reply to Thread

Thread: What a Weekend!

Default What a Weekend!

I was going to post this in Fishing Reports, but it seemed fitting to share it here.

Last week I took a new way home from work and stopped to look at a small lake arm by my house. The lake is one side of the road, this little arm on the other--connected by a little culvert. I got to the water at 8am Saturday and began wading out a little. Water is pretty murky, but I can see about 4 feet down. While I'm working my way along shore I look down to see something I'd never seen before. Looked like a stick bug with crawdad eyes. It had a long skinny body, with 4 long legs that it used to swim with and big ole buggy eyes. Anyone know what that could be?
    So I make a few casts, catch a nice gill on a GRHE. While I'm releasing this one, I look down and see a HUGE snake with a big ole frog in its mouth swimming underwater. That was a new one for me two. While I'm watching this snake, I feel a tug. Lift the rod tip and whaddya know, fish on! A minute later, crappie in hand again on the GRHE. Then I begin to hear splash, splash, splash! Kind of creepy standing in a foreign, muddy, body of water with big splashes all over any no idea what they are.

Finally, I figure they are carp. I start walking shore and seeing tons em! Haha says I. I tie on an olive bugger followed by a black bugger and start in after the carp. Three casts and bam!! I freight train yanks me out about 100 feet in 2.3 seconds. We battle for about 5 minutes and I think I'm wearing him down when the line goes slack. Yep, broke me off. I proceed to hook another monster and have this one almost netted when wwhhooaaa, he is outta here. Yep, broke me off. Keep in mind that I had on 4x tippet and was planning on catching bass and panfish not whales.

After deciding I'd lost too many flies to these brutes, I pack up and drive to the pond at the end on my street. I'd seen a few gills in there, so why not. An hour later my mini-bugger had brought to hand 20 or 30 gills. And three that were pushing 12 inches. One was a BIG sunfish with Orange and white-tipped fins. One of the most beautful fish I'd ever seen. Sorry no pics, I'm in need of a new camera.

I'll go catch a few more this week and try to post some pictures. How was you weekend?
    Leave No Trace

Blog Entries

Default Re: What a Weekend!

Sounds great, thanks for telling the story.

Eric
    "Complexity is easy; Simplicity is difficult."
    Georgy Shragin
    Designer of ppsh41 sub machine gun

Sounds like you saw a water scorpion. Try this link: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent5...ges/12_jpg.htm

BW

Quote Originally Posted by Brad Williamson
    Sounds like you saw a water scorpion. Try this link: http://www.cals.ncsu.edu/course/ent5...ges/12_jpg.htm

BW
    That's exactly what it was. Wow, thanks. It was pretty cool looking
    Leave No Trace

Yup carp will break you faster than anything.
    Good fishing technique trumps all.....wish I had it.

You better believe I'll be going back after those carp. Now I know where they are! It'll just take about 10lb mono for leader and let em have it. BBW, how is the carpin going for you? Been after em lately?
    Leave No Trace

+ Reply to Thread