+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Bead/Egg Rigs

Default Bead/Egg Rigs

Frequently, on Fly Fish TV, I see shows taped in Alaska where they are fishing for Rainbows below the spawning Salmon.

They often use beads to imitate the Salmon eggs which the 'bows are feeding on. Many times, these beads are "pegged" up the leader a few inches away from the actual hook.

My question is, how does this actually work? Are the 'bows taking the bead/egg and then [in effect] 'snagged' by the hook that is trailing below the bead? I notice most seem to be hooked in the corner of the mouth or in the cheek.

Anyone have any insight on this type of 'fly' fishing?

- Gary

------------------
    "Catch 'em all ~ Put 'em back!"

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:47775]Warmwater Angler[/url:47775]

I have used the rig your describing, and it is very effective. Simply using a toothpick to peg the bead 3" from the hook is the easiest way to rig it. I used gamakatsu octopus hooks in size 8 to 10. I have used this rig for years in AK, and have seen perhaps three fish where the hook was in the check or head area. All others were hooked right in the corner of the mouth. Circle hooks or the octopus hooks work weel for this rig, as the hook point is pointing at the eye, making it less likley to snag the fish in places other than the mouth. The fish takes the bead, and your indicator goes under. Setting the hook pulls the bead and leader through the mouth, and the hook cathces in the corner of the mouth.

One trick that worked really well was to use a flesh fly as the hook, with the bead pegged above the fly. Took fish on both the bead and the flesh, "steak and eggs" is how that rig was described to me. There may be some debate on the ethics of the bead and hook rig, but having used this rig while guiding in AK, I can say that I saw less snagged fish with this rig than with a standard glo bug. That, and you can get beads that look so real, if you dropped them in with some real eggs you couldnt tell them apart.

IF egg fishing is too close to bait fishing, I can understand. I still feel funny fishing a san juan worm as a dropper.

Have fun, Jeff

Jeff -

First, thanks for your reply.

Ok, I admit it - I'm dense. Please help me understand...

The fish takes the bead/egg which is pegged 3" above the hook and the egg is now in the fish's mouth with the hook 3" away [outside the fish's mouth].

The angler strip sets (or whatever) and the hook is pulled into/inside the fish's mouth which is closed down, holding onto the egg?

I am having a hard time visualizing how that hook gets inside the fish's closed mouth. Maybe it's just because I have never fished this method, but I would love to be able to apply it to warmwater if possible.

Thanks again for your reply.

- Gary

------------------

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:61b73]Warmwater Angler[/url:61b73]

[This message has been edited by Gary Miller (edited 22 June 2005).]

Gary,

I can't explain the physics, either; but it DOES work. I've even hooked fish in the MOUTH that took my indicator while fishing a nymph...and that's a LOT more than 3". The first time I did this I was just trying to get the fish to spit out the indicator. I had no idea I'd hook him in the lip.

------------------
    Fishing the Ozarks

Its a brilliant idea and I use it in the Great Lakes region but I go 2" with a #12-#14 hook. The fish 'inhale' the egg and the hook gets pulled in. Secondly, the fish can detect the fake and exhale but the hook can set itself when this happens. Its the same principle as the hair rig used for carp.

I've been pondering the use of this to immitate small transparent shrimp and chironomids. I've seen fish "strike" the knots on my leaders so I'm thinking of putting a nail knot of .020 greenish mono on my tippet.

fishyfranky -

Funny how someone can explain something in a way that it hits home with me.

I am completely in tune with how a hair rig works. Using that analogy, makes all the sense in the world to me.

I was under the impression (and who knows why?) that the fish were taking the bead and not the hook into their mouth.

Thanks.

- Gary

------------------

Visit [url=http://www.warmwaterangler.net:2a14e]Warmwater Angler[/url:2a14e]

I too have heard the term "flossing", though usually from hardware salmon anglers. Some angler here on the Puyallup river have gotten into some heated debates (verbal confrontations) about the ethics of flossing. I see flossing as the leader running into the fishes mouth as it goes upstream on it's merry way, with no effort on the fishes part to take the fly, otherwise known as dumb luck. This rig is different, as the bead is taken by the fish with the intent of eating it, and then the line is run through the mouth as the hook is set. The fish take the bead, and are not "flossed" into the fly.

Usually the fish has spit the bead at the same time or even before the indicator has given you "the sign". Setting the hook simply pulls the hook into the mouth. Most of the fish I landed with this rig had loosened the bead when they took it, and the bead was free sliding on the leader when the fish was in the net. I usully had to re-peg it after each fish, but seeing how cheap a package of toothpicks are, it was never a problem.

But I do have to admit, I was extremely concerned about snagged fish and the ethics of this rig when I was first introduced. However, I felt it was something I should try so that I could judge it on experience rather than unfounded misconceptions I had. I found it not only effective on catching fish, but I saw less snagged fish as a result. And that is the main reason I use this rig now when fishing egg patterns. It is effective, and I do not snag as many fish. That, and Troutbeads make them is so many realistic colors that makes a glo-bug or Illiamna Pinkie look silly.

Have fun, Jeff

------------------
    Tis my time on the water, in the mountains, and in my driftboat where I can see things as they really are.

Yeah David I get your drift; those guys running Waddington shank salmon flies are a bunch of neanderthals. Now is THAT flossing or what?

Same goes for the double hook horde, but they are not so bad, just delusional in thinking that those flies are 'unweighted'.

Kinda makes me sad, but I guess I'll just drift my nice pretty bead under a bobber and think happy thoughts

+ Reply to Thread