+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Ferrule Issues

Default Ferrule Issues

I am getting ready to buy a new rod. The question is that other than personal preference is there any noticable difference between a spigot or a sleeve ferrule? I've always had rods with a sleeve ferrule and loved them but see spigot ferrules on rods from a couple of different makers. Unfortunately the closest shop to me that has both types is 3 hours away and a trip is in the works but I'd figured I'd ask anyway. (You guys (and gals) always seem to know so much!) Any opinions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!!

Matt

I can take um or leave um. I have some rods with spigot ferrule, I kinda like the straight line look of um. I have heard however the spigot is not as strong as the tip over butt sleeve ferrule but spigots are strong enough I suppose.

After talking with the Orvis Rod Shop about breaking a sleeve over ferrule, they said most of their new rods all have spigot ferrules & they haven't had one break yet! Hopefully it'll make it less of a chore to keep checking if the ferrules are tight while fishing. Still have many rods that are sleeve over & they fish well.

+ Reply to Thread