+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Millers

Default Millers

I was up at my lake house this weekend in western Mass. and fished the Millers with little luck. There were a lot of hatches but no fish rising. They seemed to be down deep. Once I got a couple split shots on, a small brown sucked up my fly. But that was it. Others were having better luck.

Anyone fish this river? I'm looking for a couple unique patterns that I could try early summer (for trout or smallies).

Thanks Doug

Default Re: Millers

I fish the Millers a decent amount, mostly since it is near my home. How about the classic Millers River Special, designed specificly for the river's stained water. I wouldn't fish the river without it.

http://new.photos.yahoo.com/robinc23/album

These are tied with arctic fox for the yellow underwing, and kid goat for the black, but traditionally they should both be bucktail. I've been experimenting with the winging materials for a while, and think this combination worked pretty well for the size fly, but might not work as well if tied bigger. Can you tell I am almost out of jungle co*k??

Ialso live near the Millers and the flows are finally getting low enough to enjoy "Millers Time". That fly looks like a fancy version of a Micky Finn. Without knowing the hatch you might have tried some form of caddis or stone fly as that is very common on the Millers.

Rodney Flagg at Flaggs tckle shop is a great source for what is working on the Millers. His shop is just south of Rt. 2 on Rt. 202 at the junction of Rt. 202 and Rt2.

jed

as a more general pattern i'd probably suggest a yellow sally

Thanks guys for all the help. I will put the patterns and advice to good use next time I visit the river, which won't be too long. Sorry about the "******." I do not know why the word came out like that (it was not suppose to be taken that way).

Anyways, thanks again
    Cheers
    Doug

Try the fly I call the conehead combo. My experience on the Millers (including yesterday) is that the flies need to be weighted and olive is a great color for that dark water.

Here's a like:

http://www.fishingwithflies.com/ConeheadCombo.htm

+ Reply to Thread